• Register Today It's free!

Detaching Dash Wire

mjoyal4

Reaction score
City, State
Somewhere, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
So today I replaced the gauge faces and repainted part of the dash surrounding it.
When I took the dash off, I could not detach these wires and had no clue how to. Any tips on how to without breaking anything?

This is where the wires connect(circled in red/yellow):
DSCN2873.jpg

These are the wires themselves. The cigarette lighter and 4wd switch:
DSCN2875.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know it's a dumb question.. But can anyone just make a response how they did so?

The 2 wires to the cigarette lighter should pull straight off.

The plug to the 4WD switch shound have a tab that you depress and then pull the plug off.

So today I replaced the gauge faces and repainted part of the dash surrounding it.
When I took the dash off, I could not detach these wires and had no clue how to. Any tips on how to without breaking anything?

This is where the wires connect(circled in red/yellow):
View attachment 230042

These are the wires themselves. The cigarette lighter and 4wd switch:
View attachment 230043
Why do my Ford has this of it is not 4x4, I removed the dash to change the radio and found that wire connector hanging but there's no where to connect it. Of course it doesn't have the switch because is not 4x4. But I was wondering why was the wire there then...mine is a 2000 Ford explorer limited v8.

Attachments

• 20200730_173137.jpg
    20200730_173137.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 62

The reason there is nothing to connect it to is because the same wiring harness is used on both AWD 5.0's and 4x4 models. I have a 99 5.0 AWD and on mine the plug you show is just plugged into a plastic tab on the back of the radio bezel. The tab is there just to hold the plug in place.

Back