034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn, that's lookin' good. :thumbsup:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

heck yea !!! is everything finished on the truck except the bed or you still need brake lines and that such?

Ya I still need brake lines and the rotors for the rear, and my beadlocks...

Thats why I had to roll the truck forward on a creeper and a jack.

Looks good J i got your pic this morning.

Hey Lost Mount said they had a few, they want $250......is that what Jonathan paid?

Naw he paid 150$ I believe, MAYBE 200$, but thats pushing it.

I ordered my RE1555 brake lines today, I measured at ride height I need about 18-19" of brake line, so these 28" should be good ;).

I need to find a place that sells the rear extended lines though. Anyone know of a place? Whered you get yours reg?

034x4 said:
Ya I still need brake lines and the rotors for the rear, and my beadlocks...

Thats why I had to roll the truck forward on a creeper and a jack.
haha nice redneck engineering with the creeper. and AAA thank you to me for the wonderful encouragement!

without me youde still be sittin around with a truck with no front suspension lmao.

ok maybe not that bad ;)

THats a tough one J

No one that i know of makes rear extended lines for the 95+ explorer. Mine is still stock length, and it is BARELY long enough.

Your best bet for the rear is to go to Napa and have one made..

Napa won't make them, found a shop local that will though.

Welded the tubes just now. Don't wanna spin 'em.

Tomorrow, I am picking up my re-drilled rotors AND my PSC assist ram, with tabs to mount it to. I will assemble the axle, and have the hydro assist functional this weekend.

Friday, I am picking up my rubber brake lines and u-bolts from local autoparts store (employee has the u-bolts...freebie!). The hard brake line and spring plates were also a freebie.

So this weekend my agenda will be as follows.

Assemble rear axle. Mount rear axle on truck.
Have custom rear brake line made (local shop does it).
Hook up rear brake lines.
Hook up rear driveshaft.
Weld tabs on front diff cover and tie-rod for hydro assist.
Measure and have hydro assist lines made at local shop.
Hook up and install fluid back into power-steering box.
Rent pitman arm puller and move pitman arm over 1 spline (dur!)

Hopefully my beadlocks will be here this week or early next week. My RE 28" SS brake lines will also be here next week. If i finish all of the above this weekend, mount my tires and have them balanced and get my front brake lines hooked up...

...it will be driveable...

Sounds good!

Did you remember to swap your front calipers to the other sides?

I'm not having luck with the 44's :( I might put the 44 on hold and put the locker in the rear for now and weld the tubes..... maybe have to wait untill the start of next year for the 44

$250 is the cheapest price i have gotten so far

I'm working all week, if i can i'll give you a call and maybe stop by and give you a hand one evening

034x4 - The truck looks great. Can't wait to see it driveable!!! :thumbsup:

^^Reggie, I noticed that you posted on SJ. Hopefully that thing will work out for you and you can build it up. Good luck and I'll keep an eye out for one. I should be at Pull A Part on Saturday afternoon (measuring driveshafts, getting e-brake calipers, etc) and I'll look for one over there.

Ya I did that last weekend Reg when i hooked all of my steering up etc.

Ya gimme a call if you can stop by, wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the compliments bmxking. I think i'm going to pass out when it can move under it's own power...I started cutting the suspension off in june lol.

Welded tubes.

68bfcefd.jpg

034x4 said:
Welded tubes.
if u dont mind me asking, did you have to preheat (cast casing) ? or did you go with the ~1cm at a time routine? or did you just go all the way around?

yomie said:
$250 is the cheapest price i have gotten so far
$250 isnt bad.. i got mine (from a wag) for $180 and i had to drive all the way to New Jersey from the DC area - so mine probably ended up around $250 too taking into consderation gas n stuff.

ahhh okay - thanks!

Today I picked up my hydro assist ram, heim ends, and tabs.

I welded the tabs to mount the ram onto the tie-rod. There's not enough room to have the other end of the ram mounted onto the diff cover, or the ram would extend into the leaf spring. So I'm mounting it on top of the diff. But I don't have any more nickel rod, so i'm getting some tomorrow and welding the tabs onto the diff. Then measure and get the lines made which won't take long and then i'll have working hydro assist.

I also took of my diff cover to clean all the rust off and painted it black. I got some pics but i'll upload them later.

Good news, and bad news.

Good news. Elliott brought the MIG over, and I have one side of the bed welded back together.

Bad news. Machine shop hasn't even started on my rotors. Friend Mickey at mild 2 wild is going to sit next to him on monday morning until they are done, he's just as pissed as I am. Also, no u-bolts either, ****er at autozone forgot to bring them. So rotors and u-bolts monday. So now my to-do list looks something like this...

Hook up and plum hydro assist.
Finish welding truckbed together, weld in support bars, and paint.

...and thats all I can do until I get those fawking rotors to assemble my axle, throw it on the truck with those u-bolts...then get the rear custom brake line made. My front brake line will be here next week and I'll bolt those on...get the beadlocks and I can drive the ****er. I hate waiting on parts...

Here's some pics from yesterday.

Welding tabs onto tie-rod...

4b1ce065.jpg

The ram...

374ab3d2.jpg

18bff3a7.jpg

Welded the inside of the tabs...

1f0e5dc3.jpg

and painted my diff cover woohoo...

6333f227.jpg

Man, your making good time on this. post up some pics of the bed, curious how that is turning out

I know what its like to wait on parts. I had to wait a week and a half just to get a reamer so I could assemble my steering. I am interested in how your bed turns out I might have to try that as well.

Back