Detailing Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Detailing Help

I recently purchased a 2000 Black Ford Explorer about 6 months ago. It's a nice day to do a wax job on the truck. But I don't think it has ever been waxed. Lots of swirl marks also. Any tips on what I can do. I usually do car wash, clay, polish and wax. Let me know. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Black - the nemesis of detailers and enthusiasts. :)

You can never really remove swirls by hand unless they are fresh and very, very light. You mentioned your Explorer is a 2000. Therefore, I will assume the swirls have been there for a short while - a few years! I would recommend one of two things:

(a) Purchase a decent orbital or dual action polisher, such as a Porter Cable 7424. Also, purchase a set of polishing pads (see autopia.org). Each pad is mated to a type of polish and used for a cerpain purpose in the process. For example, in the Sonus three step process, pad/polish 1 is used for severe finishes to remove marks; pad/polish 2 is a medium removal polish; and pad/polish 3 is a very light polish that brings back the shine of a clear coat (1 and 2 can cloud it in the process). Use the polisher, pads, and polishes to remove them yourself. Autopia has a very good tutorial on using the Porter Cable. However, as with any new tool, I recommend practicing on something you can screw up (maybe get a cheap old door panel from a junk yard?) before taking it to your Explorer. While a fantastic tool, if used incorrectly, it can also make a mess of a paint coat. People and tutorials say the Porter Cable is idiot-proof; don't believe them - it can cloud and burn the clearcoat just like any other polisher.

(b) Take it to a detailer after you've washed and clayed the surface. Explain to them that you've done the prep work and all you want is for them to use their rotary buffer to remove the swirls. When finished, you can take it home and apply your favorite wax. I am unsure how much this would cost since detailers vary by location. However, I would easily guess it would be under $100. For under $100, and with a reputable and competent detailer (emphasis), you can have the exterior looking brand new.

Good luck.

Adam
not one refferance to ZZZZZZZZZ:) how unlike you, did they not send you a new hat and T-shirt this year:)

Well, we never got into the fine details of sealing that like-new finish... :)

you got a hat AND a tee shirt !?!?!?!?!

Actually, a t-shirt and two 3M decals. But who's counting? :) I haven't purchased much lately since I have no time to detail the ride. But Sal is a good guy.

Back