Electric fan conversion: Any one done it here in Phoenix AZ with 113 degrees?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electric fan conversion: Any one done it here in Phoenix AZ with 113 degrees??

I know sense 1998 Ford has been putting in Dummy oil pressure gauges, idiot light gauges.

In my 2000 Mercury I converted the dummy gauge to a real one and at the same time did a set of custom faces and gauges...

That was a 1998 Mustang Cluster...Custom faces, markings, and I added RGB lighting, all I really wanted was white and Red for night time driving on dark highway roads at night.

I already did one change to the Explorer's Cluster I rebuilt it with a 02 Face, dumbass Ford redressed the faces in 03 which rendered then unreadable in the AZ sun and sunglasses on...unlike the 02 which OMG IS readable.

Rich

Custom Cluster lighting 009.JPG Multicolor Cluster.jpg 3 Clusters.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I also plan on running a manual over ride switches like I did with my 2000 Mercury GM, where it did not kick in high until 220 and I would switch it into high at 210, or 200 my self.

By the way I run a Scan Gauge II which one if the digital readouts is temperature, along with MPH, GPH, So I keep any eye on it.

Odd it does not read oil pressure, getting any accurate oil pressure read out or real gauge is a problem with Fords.

Rich
In the mid 90's most Fords they changed the oil pressure sensor to a simple On/Off sensor switch. Your sensor just senses oil pressure above a low level such as 7psi, and triggers the engine light below that. In the 2nd gen's it's fairly simple to make the gauge read pressure by installing an older sensor from an old engine model. I've read that it takes a resistor in the gauge signal too, I'm not sure when it's required.

Yeah, it looks like they didn't wort it out then for the 1998 and later gauges. I'd bet someone did, and the later gauges likely are similar to those first late 90's versions.

OH That is right, it will work with old gauges, these are CANBUS gauges, all the gauges are small little motors even the speedo and tach.

And I do not know of any aftermarket gauge that operates from right to left.

So best idea is to move the Water icon to the oil pressure and the oil pressure to where the water icon was and then I can add a real after market gauge replacing the fake gauge.

Like this:

Rich

Gauge swap.jpg

I like the ideas you are coming up with. I have had one for ages for the 2nd gen cluster. I want to install very small LED displays behind all of the stock gauges, somewhere among the gauge face. Then buy aftermarket gauges that have a signal which can be acquired, and fed to the added displays. Then I can have the dummy factory oil gauge, plus an actual oil pressure displayed with it. Do the same for the water temp, voltage, and fuel pressure, maybe tach if the stock one isn't accurate.

Better yet:

Revised.

Custom Gauge swap.jpg

I like the ideas you are coming up with. I have had one for ages for the 2nd gen cluster. I want to install very small LED displays behind all of the stock gauges, somewhere among the gauge face. Then buy aftermarket gauges that have a signal which can be acquired, and fed to the added displays. Then I can have the dummy factory oil gauge, plus an actual oil pressure displayed with it. Do the same for the water temp, voltage, and fuel pressure, maybe tach if the stock one isn't accurate.

Check out Scan Gauge II » ScanGauge II EVERYTHING BUT A OIL GAUGE...

SGII_GA-01-00.png

And I mean everything!!

Rich

Back