Detroit electronic locker

soupbone

Reaction score
City, State
Hayward,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4WD
I found this interesting preview from Four Wheeler mag:

Tractech Inc.'s new electronic locker. The Locking Truetrac Differential is a unique torque-biasing lockable differential that features a normal gear-driven limited-slip coupled with a inovative electronic locking collar system to provide complete lock-up of the differential with a push of a button. Locking Truetrac units are scheduled for availability in June, and will fit Dana 30,44,60 and Ford 9-inch axles. www.tractech.com

Kinda neat.. a limited slip & locker in 1. But too bad no Ford 8.8.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sent an email to Tractech about the locker. It looks like it will be out this summer.

Here is the email I got back.

I don't have much information but here you go. The first units will
come out
in the mid summer others to follow. Here is the list:

44 Dana
30 Dana
60 Dana
8.8 Ford
10.25 Ford
35 Dana
10 Bolt 8.5 GM

When this list is completed our sales department will decide what units
will
come next. For updates in the future keep checking our website

Thank You for your interest in our products.

Brent Bussell
Senior Account Administrator
Application Technician
bbussell@tractech.com
800-328-3850
810-759-3850

I wonder what the price will be? Might be higher than the arb air setup maybe..... Oh and how long does the factory ford limited slip last? Its clutch based right?

I can't see why it would be more than the ARB setup. I'd think that it should be less due to the fact that you wouldn't need the air compressor.

I too would rather go this route over ARB. We'll have to see.

This would be sooooo much better then an ARB. The arb you have their air lines to cut. Hard to splice if you don't know where its cut. With electric if you cut it, easy enough to run a whole new line, which you might not even need to do depending on the terrain. This is cause its running at a limited slip mode when its not spooled up. Which to me is pretty dang cool.

I bet it could be easier to protect that electrical line too....Assuming it would be push button operation....
Pete

P.S. 900 posts! YAY!
:confused:

still waiting

Tractech said the release is pushed back to fall and at this time pricing has not been set, but he said the Dana 44 unit to be in the $600.00 area. So the pricing is similar to the arb locker minus the compressor.

thats all folks.....

Yes!

I can't wait. I'd rather have that than the Powertrax. I'm sure it will be priced about the same as the OX locker. I understand that the Ox started around $500 and quickly went to $650 when they new that its only competition was $750+ (ARB). The OX and Detroit will be a lot less complicated to install also. It's about time that ARB lost its MONOPOLY on the Sellectable Lockers. :D

any new news on this?

It sounds like it is what I want.

i'm saving for one now!

this seems to be totally cool!!!!!! i want one!!!!!

Awesome. Now the question: I don't know a lot about differentials (as far as how it works what works; it's all dark voodoo to me) but is that Dana 35 unit for the Jeep Dana 35 rear axle or will it work for our TTB D35's? I think the TTB 35 is a reverse-cut diff to make it a front axle, but i don't know if the locker is different for a reverse-cut versus normal.

the wait continues...

Comments: Hello,
>
> Do you have availability yet for the new ElecTrac for Ford 8.8" ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Troy
>
> submit: Submit Request

That is one of the axles we are doing but the unit is at least 6 months
away.

Brent Bussell
Senior Account Administrator
Application Technician
Tractech Inc.
bbussell@tractech.com
800-328-3850
586-759-3850

well i guess that isn't too bad. gives me more time to save and buy other stuff first

I looked it up on the WEB the other day--no news though. Answer to an earlier question, the TruTrac doesn't use clutches it uses helical gears to provide L/S and shouldn't wear.:redexp:

Eaton has their new locker also but it has no limited slip. Its open or spooled activated electro magneticly. They do have one planned for the Ford 8.8. However im going to try and contact them and let em know about our ******* Dana 35 IFS front end. Looks pretty good in the videos as they show them in use on a Fullsize lifted Avalache with 33s and F150.
Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/eaton_elocker_preview/index.asp

i wish the detroit electic one would speed up.
is the eaton one electonic locking also? good luck with them and the ifs front... that would be great.

edit: ok nevermind.. i checked out the links

We got to see the new Detroit locker at the Sema show, and it's just what I want. They're working on them now for the 8.8 but I doubt we'll see the 35 anytime soon. Both Matt Adam's and myself loved the design that they had. I think they're making the Dana series first, then the other axles will come

Yea i hear ya. But Eaton is doing GM,Nissan,F150,etc front ends. Im going to try and contact them and point them to this site. Rather have a selectable front than a auto front like the powertrax. If they can do a Frontier/Xterra front and rear they can do a Explorer/Ranger D35. Both the Eaton and the Detroit are comming out mid 2002 they say.

So the wait continues.........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ask about the D35 and the OX locker and they said that it's not likely. The TTB doesn't have a removable cover to mount the switching device (electric or mechanical lever). So I dont believe that we'll see a Detroit/Eaton/OX locker for the front ends of our X's.:redexp:

Back