njptvr

Reaction score
City, State
Hertfordshire, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 UK
Hi All
I am hoping someone can help.

I have a 1998 Explorer which was dealer imported into the UK.

It has an airbag fault which I believe I have fixed but does not have the airbag reset connector in the footwell by the airbag module. I have been told by a Ford dealer the only way to reset the light is either an old Ford NGS diagnostic system or replace the airbag module. They do not have an NGS system and want to charge me a fortune to replace the airbag module.

Is there an after market diagnostic tool like the Autel 802 which will communicate with the airbag module and reset the codes?

I have tried two different OBD2 to USB adaptors, one Ford VCM specific and one ECM327 version and both show most other modules but NOT the airbag one.

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

Count the flashes of the air bag light to see what the code numbers are. It's probably flahsing because there's a fault. You shouldn't have to reset it with a tool once the fault is corrected. Check the yellow connectors under the front seats. They sometimes cause a fault code to occur if there's a bad connection.

What was the fault you think you fixed?

Hook up to FORScan (if you haven't yet), it is open source software, and should get you taken care of. And as Brooklyn said, counting the flashes will give you the code as well. For the life of me I can't recall whether it's the SRS or the ABS, but one of those, if the code is not cleared by scanner the light will stay on until the system passes 256 self-tests (that's the test every time the truck is started). Then it turns it self off. I blew the fuse once doing some other work. The light was flashing, I dug around online and got a list, counted the flashes, and returned a code for a power failure or something. I figured that was the fuse, which I replaced. After that the light stayed on, as in after the usual illumination during the startup test it would stay on. It took a couple months but eventually I had started the truck 256 times, and the light went out after that test.

Back