Did I just put the flexplate on backwards?!? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did I just put the flexplate on backwards?!?

Yeah I think that is what I will do when I get out there next time. Teeth are all good and there is dowel type pins on the tranny that lined up with the engine and the seperator plate lines up with the dowels and then subsequently...the bolts. I am actually beginning to think maybe the torque converter was lined up good... maybe the starter and inspection cover plate thing is my own stupid doing.

The crank spins without the inspection cover on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so I guess the last question is when the starter was in, would it engage the flexplate?

I will have to do a for real check (bolt it in and give it power) because all I did was eyeball it...which is not accurate because the starter gear jumps out when it gets power right?

Yes, when you hit the key the bendix will push the drive gear out into the flywheel and turn the engine over.

Well I put the starter on and it started fine. Left the inspection plate off and nothing hit or grinded. I think I did it alright and it was just hard to turn for some reason. I tried turning it without the plate on and was tough too. So I think it was just...the way it is. My compression must be too good :p

So there was no problem there really...but with this new tranny...it doesn't wanna move. Forward or back....my curse continues

Sounds like the plate was on wrong, but if it starts just fine flip the plate and bolt it up and try again. Sounds like you'll be good to go. Good luck man

Yea sounds like flipping the plate is in order, however it wont move? make sure the truck is at operating temp and the fluid is full, if it is full, you will want to check line pressure with an external gauge, my guess is if it is full and wont move, the pump got damaged on install.

Wait I thought we agreed I had the plate on the right way? I think the otherway would be worse actually...

If we are talking about the inspection cover plate, the small one that is removeable, then 96ex and I think you had it in backwards causing the engine to turn hard. The midplate is fine if you're bolted up and running. Now, the no forward and no reverse sounds like no pump pressure to me, unless for some strange reason the shift cable is disconnected? It could be turning over hard becasue the converter is not all the way in the pump, I relaize its bolted together and running, but I have seen this happen in the past. Not trying to wish bad things here, but your descriptions lead me to believe its a pump failure due to misalignment.

Warm it up check fluid lvl, cycle it threw all gears and recheck but warm it up to operating temp. If it is good I would guess the converter wasn't in all the way and may have destroyed the pump. I hope not, just start with fluid lvl and make sure the cooler('s) aren't plugged.

warm it up check fluid lvl, cycle it threw all gears and recheck but warm it up to operating temp. If it is good i would guess the converter wasn't in all the way and may have destroyed the pump. I hope not, just start with fluid lvl and make sure the cooler('s) aren't plugged.

x2

Warm it up check fluid lvl, cycle it threw all gears and recheck but warm it up to operating temp. If it is good I would guess the converter wasn't in all the way and may have destroyed the pump. I hope not, just start with fluid lvl and make sure the cooler('s) aren't plugged.

Did that... I think I pooched the pump.

Yeah if the torque converter wasn't seated all the way then when you bolt the trans in it can ruin the pump, you'll know if you pull it and the converter feels Jammed in there and has to be preyed out.

Alright. Thanks for the tips!

So...if the pump wasn't engaged right and that was the source of the problem. If I disconnected the return line...no fluid would be pumping? If there is fluid coming out the return line does that necessarily mean that pump is engaged and working properly?

if you want a easy way of seeing if your pump is working, just check your fluid level. check it when the truck isnt running, then start it, and check it again. if it hasnt moved, then its not pumping.

if you want a easy way of seeing if your pump is working, just check your fluid level. check it when the truck isnt running, then start it, and check it again. if it hasnt moved, then its not pumping.

That will show circulation, which it may have, but not pressure, which is the key.

Back