Did I just put the flexplate on backwards?!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did I just put the flexplate on backwards?!?

Dweano

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford Ranger
I had to take it off yesterday while I was putting in a new tranny to change my oil pan gasket (which I still couldn't do) and I think I put it on backwards...somehow.

The starter doesn't look like it is engaging and I can't turn the crank when I put the inspection cover back on.

The weight is toward the engine currently...its backwards ain't it :( :mad:

Note: I took out a 96 expo tranny and put in a 97 tranny. No reason that shouldn't work is there??

Pics:
image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you remember the crank spacer?

IIRC 96 had the 4R55E and 97 had the 5R55E.

EDIT:

I'm thinking 4.0... But that doesn't look like a 4.0.

did you recheck to make sure the torque converter was seated correctly (or did the trans want to sit flush to the motor, or was there a gape)? that happened to me once with a 4L motor and trans, i didnt have it seated right, and the converter jammed not letting me be able to turn the crank

It seemed like there was a gap maybe?? The one side was snug and I pulled in the other side with the bolts... it snugged up...but now that you mention it maybe should have gone on better. If i tightened it up the the engine to tranny bolts would I have ruined something in the tranny???

Yes it is a 5.0L, sorry I did not specify.

If the torque converter isn't in all the way could I loosen things off and then rotate the crank (which is attached to the torque converter via 4 bolts) until it slipped in??

If the torque converter isn't in all the way could I loosen things off and then rotate the crank (which is attached to the torque converter via 4 bolts) until it slipped in??

i dont think you can. you can try if you want. normally you should hear or feel 2 dead thumps, then you know the converter is in correctly. also, if you loosen all the nuts on the converter and move the crank, you should be able to hear the converter "clanking" against the flexplate.

Not sure I am following you here?

Currently I have the whole assembly put together. The tranny is fully bolted to the engine and the torque converter is bolted to the flexplate. But things don't seem to be lining up right...what should I do or check?

try this. take all the nuts out that hold the torque converter to the flex plate (while the trans is still bolted to the motor). when you have done that, try moving the crank. if you can hear the flex plate clanking around against the torque converter, you might have other issues. if you dont, i am going to say the converter isnt seated correctly in the trans, and you will have to pull it all apart and check things over. also, if you didnt do this in the first place, change the front seal on the trans while it is apart.

i was also looking at some of your past posts. have you had this trans apart, and if you did, are you sure you put it all back together correctly?

I will try that first chance I get. With the nuts off the torque converter bolts will still "clank" on the flywheel somewhat won't they? Or are we talking a bigger clank noise here? Haha

This transmission and torque converter were pulled my a used expo. Never taken apart. I gave up on that old tranny, too many demons.

A couple of things here, If you drew the trans into the block with the bolts with some degree of difficulty and the convereter was not seated properly, you most likely damaged the front pump in the trans, especially since you have the flex plate in correctly and it wont turn over and the starter is not engaging properly. The converter is too far out and you have possilby bent the flexplate by using the bolts to pull it in. Second, I'm not sure what years this changed, but the solenoid harness inside the trans changed so you may need to swap that with your old one so it shifts properly. Last but not least, there is a slot in the flexplate next to the torque converter nut in your pic, some Ford converters have a small drain plug in the face near a stud that needs to be aligned with that slot, that could also be an issue here, but I think the 4R70W uses that big plug in the bottom of the bell to access the converter drain.

I pulled the tranny in with the bolts and then when it was in I tightened the torque converter bolts. They went on no problem. So flexplate shouldn't be bent. The train was sticky coming out so I figured it was just snug going in?

But I am mentally preparing for having to get a different pump haha

Sounds like it's hitting the block plate it's hard to tell from pic. Make sure everything is strait and bolted up right.

Good eye on that one 96ex, it does look like the flexplate is tight against the seperator plate, which leads me to believe the converter isn't seated correctly. Look closely at the second pic, there is no way that converter stud and nut will make it past the seperator plate, unless its a really bad angle on the camera?

That or the plate isn't lined up correctly, seems like an impossible thing but I have seen it happen.

Must be a bad angle, the skinny plate part between the tranny and engine is lined up (the bolts go through the holes and whatnot) also the torque converter bolts are snugged up and the flexplate/torque converter can be turned via crankshaft and they do not hit anything. Without the inspection plate of course ;) haha

So what do you guys think? Should I crack it apart and try to seat to the torque converter better? Spin and push and see if I can get it to click in further?

I also really appreciate all the help from this forum. I am a semi newbie and this whole project has been frought with unfortunate events haha

wait a sec, it spins over without the inspection cover on? are you putting the inspection cover on backwards?

Yes...and I am not sure. I am starting to think I may have?! I was pretty rattled yesterday so...it is a possibility. The truck is about 25 mins away from I live and I believe it has gotten drug outta the shop, so this weekend is when I will go back probably...but I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do right no

OK so lets back up a sec here, I was under the assumption from your description the engine would not turn over at all with the crank, but it seems it will as long as you dont have the inspection cover on. Also, the starter is not engaging to turn the engine over, correct? It seems to me I would try the inspection cover the other way and see if it will spin by hand with the crank, then have the starter tested? could be beat? how do the starter teeth on the bendix look? Flexplate teeth?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

another possibility of the starter not engaging correctly is if the seperator plate is sitting lower becasue the dowell pin or pins are not in the block and stuck in your old tranny. I've seen this happen a few times

Back