Dr. Jack | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dr. Jack

:usa: Hopefully I am starting this thread in the proper place. I am following the ideas of other members to keep a log so to speak of the 92 Explorer now know as Dr. Jack.
It all started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, oops,wrong story.
A while back in the spring/summer time frame of 2009. I was asked by an EF member if I ever do any 4wheeling, I told him I had done a bit in Death Valley but not much, this is when he intoduced me to the EF family. We made plans for me to join him as a rider in the CCR09 at Ouray. We did a pre-run in Moab where I meet Bronco2guy, Amy, and Chad551. Then on to Ouray where I meet a lot of fine peeps in the EF family. I had such a blast that I decided to start a project, I have always liked off roading but all the groups I meet seemed to have a "better than thou" idea.
Giving myself two years for the project, I started keeping an eye on the forum and looking around for ideas, then the 92 Explorer of Dr. John "Jack" Lobdell popped up on Craig's list in New Mexico, by following the forum I became aware of the sale, and by contact with other members I came to learn that this was a special vehicle from a special member. Lady Luck smiled on me, as I was able to use my brother's trailer to go pick up the vehicle. Robert rode with me and am I glad he did, his help was great. Got the rig back home and am now beginning to go over it, will keep upates as I go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you get the recaro seats from? are they a standard fit or from something else?

Pretty awesome rig you've got!

Si

Thank you Si!! After I got the rig, I thought I should of played the lottery because of all the great luck I was having.

The recaro seats were already installed when I got the rig, I believe they were installed by the rig's orginal owner, Dr. John "Jack" Lobdell. (hence the rig's name "Dr. Jack") The air lockers, lift kit, 4.56 gears etc were all already installed, so I have had very little to do mod wise. It has been a lot of nickle and dime stuff, some of which I turned into quarter and dollar by joe willey fo-fo"s. My biggest $ soaker yet was the trailer and new tires for the trailer to haul it and the replacement of the motor and swapping the 1354E for a 1354 manual.

Sitting here in the hospital's waiting area playing on the public computer that is here, my sister should be released soon, she is never on time anyhow, I think that runs in the women DNA in my family. :rolleyes:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sitting here in the hospital's waiting area playing on the public computer that is here, my sister should be released soon, she is never on time anyhow, I think that runs in the women DNA in my family. :rolleyes:

Care to share? :rolleyes:

The craftmanship on this bumper from jamscal is freaking outstanding. The weld seams are straight as an arrow and no breaks. The finishing is so well done that not once did I come across even a sliver. All of the edges and mounting holes are smooth. The packaging for shipment, professional. Upon arrival, not one piece was the bumper was visable thru the protective wrapping.

right after unwrapping

IMG_0123.jpg

first coat of paint, (4 total)

IMG_0124.jpg

Got the winch mounted, only thing I am going to change is the bolts and nuts for mounting the winch to the bumper, they are a lower grade and with a load strain during a winching operation, I want the peace of mind with stronger mounting hardware.

The lining up of the bumper is right on the money for the frame and winch and tensioner mounts.

IMG_0125.jpg

Off to my brother's house to do some work on the rig, got several things that I need the smoke wrench to complete. Gonna play with the winch also.
Tomorrow is one year since I got the Dr. Jack, looking back on it, I am damn satified on the work done, and that is what counts, me being satified on the work, and of course hopefully Jack is satified with his rig being back on trails in my hands. (now if I could learn how to spell) Don't know what I would of done without the support of the EF.:salute:

On the way back home I decided on a little side trip, this is at the old Rock House church, the place my Dad was born.

Got a little more to do on the front bumper, another "mod".

IMG_0126.jpg

Hey unclemike did you run the winch line out and do the tension pre-work on it? I read that that's important for keeping the line in good shape.

Truck is looking great!

Hey Jack did you run the winch line out and do the tension pre-work on it? I read that that's important for keeping the line in good shape.

Truck is looking great!

You are 100% correct about doing a pre-load on a new cable, I only ran it out about 30 foot and rewound it, I haven't put the upgraded bolts on the winch yet, so I didn't want to put a load on it, just me being safe, got to head into town and get some more stuff for the rig, so decided to do the pre-load either this evening or tomorrow before football kicks off.

Thanks for the comment Dan!!!:cool:

Needed a vise for working on the rig, and needed a place to mount the vise since I don't have a shed or work shop, so here it is, and I do believe having a vise on the trail just might come in handy.

IMG_0128.jpg

It's been one year.

It started with this thread on 16 Oct. 2009.

That night, my brother Robert and I took off for Albuquerque, picked up the 92 X now known as Dr. Jack, was able to stop at Brian1's house and Brian checked out the rig and snapped a few pics. Brian, his Dad Jim and his mom made us feel right at home.

3 weeks later, was in Linn, Mo. There Bryce swapped the engine and removed the auto xfer and intalled a manuel xfer, Bryce did the work while Brad and the rest of us trailed in the woods. There Brad, Bryce and their family treated us just like family.

HPIM1287.jpg

From Nov till Jan, not much done, just touching up and minor things, like running lights, replacing rear shocks, front shock bushings, etc. Was able to do a road test after finally getting it inspected and plates, that resulted in my first time mired and been pulled out by a Jeep.:(

Untitled-1.jpg

mud.jpg

But all is good and got to do some trailin',

HPIM1340.jpg

Was unable to make the first two runs I had planned on doing, but made it to CCR10, only 2 EF rigs, but it was an EF run!

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0052-1.jpg

What has been done in the last year?

Replaced engine and xfer case.
Installed off road lights, front, top, and rear.
Had my ass kicked by doing the shifter boots.
Replaced rear shocks and front shock bushings.
Had my ass kicked by the ARB, but finally got the front working.
Replaced tires with 33's MT's.
Sliders installed
Optima battery red top installed.
Front facing camera installed.
Winch bumper and winch installed.
Installed cone air filter and adapter.
Got PO'd doing rewiring and who knows what.
Learned a crap load of stuff. (since I ended up doing a lot of items several times and triple the cost than needed)
Purchased a trailer to haul the rig, replaced all the tires on it.
When I started, my tool set consisted of a Husky 1/4" and 3'8" set. I just bought my third tool box since I was ran out of room with two.

But mostly, I have meet a lot of friends thru the forum who I hope to meet in person some day. The information flow is just freaking outstanding.

Rick, you have one hell of a site to be proud of. The mods and members here, I just can't say enough good stuff about.

It's great to see that truck getting some good TLC and use. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hard to believe it's been a year...

Where does the time go?

Got the covers in Sue!! They look good just liked I figured they would!! (No one need to look for this rig doing 90mph with the covers on, at 70, on the speedometer it just shakes like a mixer, just got to get larger front lights so they will go over the lights on the front)

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

That's not rust on the rig, just leaves.

On another note, I am so freaking sick of this dial up. I started trying to load the pics at 4:15 yesterday, at 8:45 I gave up, and restarted this morning. Will be shutting off dishTV after the 17th of Nov and getting wireless here at the house. Until I starting loading pics with this forum, I really didn't care about the slowness of dialup.

Thanks Brad! They do look cool don't they?

On a side note, I finally got busy with the rear tire mount and fuel can holder, I don't know what is happening, but everything is going together like a charm, very few problems, exect mother nature, it seems whenever I took the drill or grinder out, it would start to rain, but not heavy and not long.
It is going to be a very simple frame and mount. The hardest thing I am having to figure out is a locking system to secure it.

I guess I will have to see how this turns out, cause I am royally confused how this will work. Looks like it bolts to the top of the bumper. Will it pivot on one end to swing away to open the hatch?

Back