• Register Today It's free!

Did Tire Shop Damage my TMPS?

m00nJump3r

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
A few weeks ago, I went to this tire shop that changes tires. They are really decent with prices and I have used them in the past (not for tires but brakes jobs and stuff).

They only did the two back tires since one of the front valve cap was stuck. Before doing the job, I asked the girl handling the transaction about if they worked with tire pressure sensors. She said yes.

After the work was done, I get back in my vehicle and noticed that the TMPS were indicating low air in tire. I sometime seen this from time to time but in the message center it said "VERY LOW PRESSURE" which I never seen before.

I go back in and they say it could be the from the saying this due to the fact that one of the caps is stuck on the valve. But right before pulling it in..I never seen anything like that. Just to save the argument I cleared my message center error and just proceed to go home.

Is it common for this show up after changing the tire or did they damage my tmps?

I am suppose to go back up there for the other two tires to get done but I am very leery.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it common for the tire pressure light to be on after replacing tires or did they damage the sensor? -- This is all I need to know.

they needed to reset them and might not have known how,, every manufacturer uses a different method

ISSUE
Vehicles built with the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) sensors may experience a concern where the TPMS indicator is on solid and the message center (if equipped) displays "Low Tire Pressure". This may be due to the actual tire pressure being low due to time or temperature changes (10°= 1 psi). Adjusting the tire pressure to specification should turn out the warning light once the sensors have been awakened.

ACTION
If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, it will be necessary to wake up the sensors with the training tool to force them to transmit the latest air pressure information to the smart junction box (SJB), or responsible module. This can be done by either driving the vehicle for 2 minutes above 20 MPH (32 Km/h) or by using the training tool. The sensors do not continuously transmit when the vehicle is not moving.

NOTE ADJUSTING THE TIRE PRESSURE IS NOT A WARRANTABLE ITEM.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Inflate all tires to the correct air pressure.

2. Place the ignition in the RUN position.

3. Use special service tool 204-324 for valve-mounted TPMS sensors or 204-363 for wheel mounted sensors.

4. Place the magnet on each sensor for approx. 5 seconds or ping each sensor at least twice after adding air to ensure the module has the latest air pressure data.

If the TPMS indicator does not go off after filling the tires to the correct air pressure and pinging each sensor then refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual symptom chart.

A stuck valve cap is real common with the tpms. The metal stems corrode and unfortunately they snap off real easy. Most shops wont touch em if they dont move easily. But if they couldnt get the cap off one then they surely didnt adjust the pressure. So now you have two, maybe three tires that are set proper and one that is lower. This will surely set off the tpms light even if a tire isnt completely flat

A stuck valve cap is real common with the tpms. The metal stems corrode and unfortunately they snap off real easy. Most shops wont touch em if they dont move easily. But if they couldnt get the cap off one then they surely didnt adjust the pressure. So now you have two, maybe three tires that are set proper and one that is lower. This will surely set off the tpms light even if a tire isnt completely flat

BINGO!!!!!!......

but,........they should have made you WELL AWARE of the situation.
by telling you..."the cap is seized on one of your TPM sensors, and it
will require immedite attention, (repair, replace) in order to have your
TPM working correctly...

:salute:

Back