Diesel in an Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diesel in an Explorer

ever think about a smaller cummins?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey NOTAJP

Did you ever locate the name, address or website for the company that imports diesel engines that might fit an Explorer. If so, could you let me know. Thanks

I have it saved on my favorites at work so I'll get to it shortly.

Merged threads

Anyone else with some input. It will be greatly appreciated.

Well, you could bolt on a MWM Sprinter 2.8L TDI like I have in my truck a Chevrolet S10/Isuzu Dmax crossover...it puts a lot of power out, much like the Ranger. Its rated at 140 hp@1800RMP/250lb-ft@3600RMP, all of this with an average fuel economy of 32 mpg. $25 for a full tank. Not bad :) tank lasts 700km ;)

Any questions? I could post some photos if you like.

When I put my X side by side with the truck, I can say they are "almost" equal in engine size, but the truck has more space left. So maybe it would fit without a problem in the X??

Any new ideas or information about this topic?

It still could be done with the 4 cylinder Power Stroke overseas. It would bolt to the M5OD as said. It was said it was $7k for the motor, but what you really need to do is contact someone over there or a salvage yard with a damaged Ranger or whatever with a good motor, and coax them to ship it over. There ya go.

Your best option is probably a new 2.8l out of a jeep liberty. Theyre fairly small and would fit under the hood unlike a powerstroke.

hahaha Get one and you will be a hero.

Funny nobody mentioned any custom fabrivcation needed for the fuel system, For some reason I dont think the stock fuel system is gonna work with the diesel.

I odn't see why a 4 banger Power Stroke won't fit in an Explorer. It seems to be fine in Rangers.

Fuel delivery is probably one of the major issues, since it seems the 4 banger PS would bolt up

Has anyone ever thought about the Mercedes 5-cyl 2.7L Diesel used in the Mercedez-Benz/Freightliner/Dodge Sprinter? It may be the one skumancer was talking about. They're already imported, meet federal emissions, and have an excellent reputation. They're already set up for rwd too.

If Dodge would stick one in the Dakota, they'd have me buying a truck tomorrow.

I have the same proyect ,does anyone know the weight of the v6 SOHC engine?

I was recently in the Philippines and I saw a Ford Everest's. It's based on the Mazda-based Ranger for the asian market. Like an Explorer but maybe a little bigger, but not as big as an Expedition. They've got decals on the side, proudly proclaiming a turboed and intercooled diesel. I guess they're 2.7L or something.

Probably wouldn't be suitable for the US market (or us in the US). A motor that small in something that big would be considered way underpowered. I rode in my uncle's late 90s Mitsubishi Pajero (same as the old Montero) and that had a 2.8 turbo intercooled diesel through an automatic. On the freeway I could tell the RPMs were pretty high, which to me indicates that they make up for the lack of horsepower in the gearing.

So yeah. If you're gonna do it, use a substantial motor that's gonna do at least what the 4.0L OHV does

I like the NGD 4.5 E international V6 biturbo , only concern is the 422 kg weight.
I don't know if this model is available in USA .

How about the V6 Powerstroke from the LCF truck? The Rangers in Iraq are not real Rangers. They are made by Auto Alliance in Thailand. They share a name, that is all. Sorry to bring this back from the dead.

save you money, sell the x and buy a superduty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

find yourself a 3/4 ton frame with the drivetrain in it, and do a body swap :D

Back