Diff between v6 and v8 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diff between v6 and v8

Can you look underneath?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you look underneath?

Yeah so oil filter on drivers side is v8. Passenger side is v6.
Rear sway bar is v8?

I should have just wrote down the vin

VIN is best bet. Check for a rear traction bar. Look under, no need to count plugs. Should be obvious. Look at trans.

How long has it sat? Could have some issues now

VIN is best bet. Check for a rear traction bar. Look under, no need to count plugs. Should be obvious. Look at trans.

How long has it sat? Could have some issues now

its sat 3 or 4 years. its in a pole building and the storage guy said it is his friends who hasn't claimed it in a few years so its just been forgotten about.
i figured with less than 90000 miles though if it was a v8 id pursue it a little harder and try to get it for next to nothing..

Yeah so oil filter on drivers side is v8. Passenger side is v6.
Rear sway bar is v8?

I should have just wrote down the vin

Don't worry about the VIN, count the number of pipes coming out of the heads.

If you can see 6 pipes in a line and they all connect up to a turbo I don't know how that would reconconcile with any VIN number.

Just saying.

If you can see 4 pipes on one side it's either a 4 cylinder or it's a V8.

Don't worry about the VIN, count the number of pipes coming out of the heads.

If you can see 6 pipes in a line and they all connect up to a turbo I don't know how that would reconconcile with any VIN number.

Just saying.

If you can see 4 pipes on one side it's either a 4 cylinder or it's a V8.

well, if he can get the hood open, the V8's have a badge on top of the intake plenum that says "V8" but odds are that since it doesn't have the V8 badges on the front fenders it's a V6. considering the length of time it's been sitting and the apparent condition of the body, i wouldn't waste my time or money on it.

well, if he can get the hood open, the V8's have a badge on top of the intake plenum that says "V8" but odds are that since it doesn't have the V8 badges on the front fenders it's a V6. considering the length of time it's been sitting and the apparent condition of the body, i wouldn't waste my time or money on it.

If i could get the hood open then yes it would be a cakewalk to tell what it is. but i heard back and its a 4.0 with a broken odometer.. i reminded him it said 89000 miles and he said it probably has double that.. so i will not be pursuing lol

Back