Difference between 5R55E and 5R55S tranny's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference between 5R55E and 5R55S tranny's

shelbydog25

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
what exactly is the difference between these two transmissions? I did find one post that a 5R55w and 5R55S are identicle twins the only difference is the wide gear ratio. What's the "wider" gear ratio effect on my 04 Eddie Bauer? just curious... as it seems they're more problems with the 5R55E tranny's than the S

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Then I'm glad I got the "S"!!!

I'm from Australia
Is the 5R55S better
How long has the 5R55S been out there in the US
We are just seeing the 5R55S now here in OZ
I work for an auto trans repair shop, we see alot of the 5R55E in the explorer with busted bands which then leave bits to float around and F the rest of the box.

I'm from Australia
Is the 5R55S better
How long has the 5R55S been out there in the US
We are just seeing the 5R55S now here in OZ
I work for an auto trans repair shop, we see alot of the 5R55E in the explorer with busted bands which then leave bits to float around and F the rest of the box.

What do you think of the 5R55W transmissions on the 2002-'03 explorer? Do you see very many of them with early mileage failures in your shop? Do you think the 5r55w is well built? Thanks.

seem to have similar issues(bands), its funny some dont have problems for ages and some early.
But here in Oz most of the explorers(Exploders LOL) have had problems with their transmissions. Oz Explorers are only 4WD so maybe driving the tranfer maybe the issue.
Read a post on here of a bloke putting big horsepower through an E and has had no real probs, not sure if its 4wd or not.
We have a customer who has had 4 boxes in his V8 Explorer each lasting only about 10-11 months. his last one was a W box. he has just been putting in 2nd hand units. Cause it is very expensive to rebuild these units.

The S box is just coming out in the latest Ford FG Falcon (4 door 2wd family car).

I'm confused.
looking at the 5R55S swap thread the E box looks totaly different to what we call an E box.
The trans I changed at work the other day looks like the S box i.e. case, electrical connectors and senors? But we call that box the 5R55E??
Looks like I am just going to have to wait and see what the new australian 5R55S is like.

Oh Mike that box I read about on here is 2wd

Back