Difference between clicking sounds when no-start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference between clicking sounds when no-start

KiloWatts

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer
I just want to make this clear, because I think we can diagnose a problem simply by distinguishing whether we hear one click, or a series of clicks (clickclickclickclick).

When I had a bad starter last week, I only heard one click. I replaced the starter and solenoid (both were jacked).

Now, when I tried to start it tonight, I hear clickclickclickclickclick. Like a machine-gun. I seriously doubt it's the starter or the solenoid, since they're both brand new, so I'm assuming it's the battery. (terminals, or cables, or the whole thing).

Am I correct in assuming this, and can we say for sure that the sound of multiple clicks under the hood (clickclickclickclickclick) is definitely a battery issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the clicks you hear are from the starter relay on the inside fender wall. When mine failed, it made that rapid click noise. You can test by jumpering around it.

Thanks for the replies

Battery is about a year old... If the battery turns out to be good, how does one 'jumper around' the Starter Relay?

Diagnosis:

It was the terminals. They weren't fastened tight enough.

Dur.

Clicks makes no difference. I've had dead batteries make 1 click or several. Had bad starters & relay's & make the same sounds.

Back