Difference between shackles and leafs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference between shackles and leafs?

Fantasymon

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hi, I have a 2000 explorer xls 2wd. I want to do the torsion twist and shackle lift. I am a little confused though. (I have read JDrapers instructions already. Am I going to need to buy shackles AND add-a-leaf or just either one? Are they the same thing? I'm a little confused on this. Also is it for sure that I will be able to di this 1.5-2" lift on a slx 2wd?
Please help!!!!!!!
Thanks, Grant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site Grant! You can do either one or both. Some people use a lift shackle and an add-a-leaf while others use one or the other. An add a leaf is a leaf that is added to your spring pack, a lift shackle is the piece that attaches 1 side of the spring to the frame. It just depends on how much lift you want. I don't know how much lift the different combos provide because I have a 91. I am sure someone else can tell you that.

Originally posted by Fantasymon

Thanks, Grant

You're welcome ;)

Your leafs connect to the shackles, located right under your bumper. Whenever you do the shackle lift, you are installing longer shackles, which will thus raise the suspension further, about 1.5-2 inches. You can buy shackles and an add-a-leaf, or just one or the other. I have heard that you dont get as much lift with the add a leaf. The add a leaf is just another leaf spring that you add to the spring pack, but the shackles replace the stock shackles. I have no idea on torsion twisting though, but I know theres are MANY threads on this, you should find what you need in no time.

Looks like Brian beat me to it this time :) Oh well

More question :)

Thanks for both of your responses!.....I am going to go ahead and buy both the shackles and the add-a-leaf. Can you tell me where a good place to order them is and which kind are good? Also where is the torsion twist?

So the shackles and the leaf both go below the BACK bumper?
I crawled under my explorer and was looking for the torsion twists but was clueless as to the exact location.
Any help would be appreciated!
Grant

torsion twist is up front, that is the front suspension... there are several helpful threads and some pics, try out a search.....the shackles are H shaped and mount to the frame and the leaf pack. adda leaf will add more load carrying capacity to your truck and add a slightly stiffer ride.

Fantasymon, the shackles are located right underneath your rear bumper. Crawl around back, the passenger side one is connected just left of your tailpipe. It will be hanging down a few inches. There will be a flat piece of metal connected in the fornt of it, facing forward. That flat piece is one of your leaf springs, follow it and you will see more stacked on top of each other, and they will connect right undeneath your axle, close to your wheels. The Warrior Shackles that you want to buy and and extended type of shackle, it goes in the same place where teh stock ones go. The add-a-leaf is added to the stack of leaf springs. To do the torsion twist I thought it had something to do with the doors, something in the doors. But yes, the torsion bars are in the front suspension.

I dunno if you know this already ir if someone has clarified it, but it cant hurt, eh? :)

I'd like to start off by doing one thing that should of been done....WELCOME. You'll find anything and everything all right here.

As others have said the warrior shackles are a few inches larger than stock. That's where the lift comes from. They are connected to the leaf springs and to the frame. Look around the rear....you can't miss them. If you don't see the stock shackles yell.....I'll take a picture.

I'm also not sure about the exact procedure of the torsion twist. I've got a 94 so I have coils not IFS. The front is lifted by turning a bolt somewhere on the front axle. As you turn it it "cranks" the torsion bars up and lifts the front.

Good Luck

I'd also like to welcome you to the site!! Welcome aboard!!

Now onto your questions. Here is a helpful link describing the torsion bar lift for 95+ Explorers: http://www.4x4central.com/torsionbars.html

Your torsion bars are rather long, round, rod type parts that extend from below your front doors (where they mount to the frame cross member) up toward the front of the truck where they attach to your lower A arms (the large bottom bracket of the suspension where your front wheel mounts to the vehicle). If you look where the bars mount to the frame under your front doors, you'll notice a small bolt head sticking down from the torsion bar mount. You'll need to get under the trcuk to see it, as it is more toward the center of the vehicle, than colse to the outside. That bolt is the adjustment bolt. The so called "Torsion Twist" is just the term used to describe the tightening of that bolt to raise the ride height of the vehicle. I hope that this has cleared up some of your confusion.

I am STILL having trouble locating the bolt/bolts. Are there 2 bolts or just one?? Is it right inside of the front tire? I think I might have found it but not sure.

Also if I have 235/75/15's on there right now how big do you think I can go up if I do this tt and shackle for a 1.75" lift and have a body shop do some slight trimming by the tires to get more space? I am wanting to put some 16" rims on there mput may just stick with 15's. I'm not too sure how much this little lift will give me and I need some suggestions.

Thanks,!
Grant

The torsion bar adjustment bolts are at the end of the bars just about under your front doors. There are 2, one per side, since there are 2 torsion bars , one on each side. They are NOT right inside of the front tire. Get on yor back and scoot up under your truck just about where your front doors are. Look for the two long bars that run from about where you are to the lower A arms. Follow the bars back to where you are under the truck. You'll see where they mount to the frame crossmember just above you. If you look close enough at where each one mounts, you'll see one bolt in each mount sticking down with plenty of threads visible. Those are the adjustment bolts.

As for tires: 31x10.50s will fit on there with no lift. With the small lift and some minor trimming, you'll likely be able to get 32s under it.

hey

Thanks for that reply....is that 32X10.5 or 11.5? About what would those equel in 16's?
Thanks Grant

No problem. I'm pretty sure that a 32x11.50 will fit. I would stay with a 15" rim if I were you but if you want to go with a 16" rim, then you'll have to look for the metric size equivalent to a 32x11.50. I'm not even sure if there is a metric equivalent, but the closest I could come was a 285/70 R16, (not even sure if that's available) which actually measures 31.7x11.2.

Back