Difference between true duel exhaust vs. Y pipe exhaust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference between true duel exhaust vs. Y pipe exhaust

Ford_Power

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
what are the pro's and cons of having a true duel exhaust versus just a Y pipe duel exhaust? i've heard that on some cars/trucks a true duel exhaust actually lessens teh power of the engine while a Y pipe exhaust might not do as much. what are the differences and which is better suited to our X's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're correct. Sometimes you can remove too much backpressure from the exhaust system and thus lose some torque. For your 95, the best option for power is probably a single in-single out 2.5" muffler with a 2.25 or 2.5" tailpipe.

i had y pipe at the cat and 2 muflers with 2.25" pipes. it sounded great but wasnt too trail worthy...i also saw gains in HP but big loss in mileage so second set up which i currently have is 2.5" pipe to the muffler (flowmaster 40) then a y pipe with 2" pipes routed behind the wheels with 4" x 12" staniless tips (texas tip is what the shop called them.) i know have better than stock mileage and if a mash it better pick up and it still sounds pretty good. so for our 4.0 i would say that a freeflowing cat back system like Alec is talking about. y pipe if you have to have the dual look and sound liek i did.

Buchvilleman, is that chicken wire (or something similar) behind the stock grille of our '95? was it hard to install? i'm thinking about having a billet grille installed in mine (because it would be impossible to try and cut that plastic junk out myself) but for now chickenwire behind the stock grille might be cool for the time being.

Buchvilleman, is that chicken wire (or something similar) behind the stock grille of our '95

Yeah, do a search for speed grille. It is a cheap little trick to help the 95-97 front ends.

thats part of a door from a 1948 Allis chalmers combine, otherwise known as expanded steel. you can get stock at any metal supplier, its pretty heavy duty. i put it on there to catch grass and leaves from running in the fields so much. i was getting too much crap in my radiator. you could probably find some at a salvage yard in the scrap steel piles. before it was the grill on my truck it was my grill in my barbeque pit.

[edit] i used naval jelly to remove rust and a wire brush on my 1/2 drill then primed and painted it. im not sure of the thickness, im thinking 3/16 as i couldnt think of bending it with my hands. chicken wire might be a bit thin, but if your into that farm look go for it!:bounce: :confused: :D

on my '95, i used gutter gaurd. it is more a "street" look, rather than off road, but i think it looks pretty cool.

Originally posted by addkev
Yeah, do a search for speed grille. It is a cheap little trick to help the 95-97 front ends.

Excuse me, it looks pretty good on my '94 if I may say so myself :p

Back