• Register Today It's free!

Difference in fan clutch????

MEXEXP

Reaction score
City, State
Mexicali, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited
I just installed an automatic transmission radiator on my explorer, and it's a manual transmission, I am noticing a sound in the fan like it's humming or making high pitch sound, the difference in the radiator depth is about 1 inch, I noticed that they make a different fan clutch for the automatic and the manual, what's the difference between the 2 and do I have to change it to an automatic transmission fan clutch? or what do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much space do you have between the fan and the radiator?

If you have a newer fan clutch, you will hear the fan more. If the fan clutch is a HD fan clutch you will really hear it.

The sound of the engine fan on our X will actually drown out the sound of the exhaust.

BUT.. the truck doesn't get warm, even when towing @ 3000 rpms up hill in 110F.. I really like my new fan clutch..

~Mark

Aldive the space between the fan and radiator is less than an inch, and the radiator shop checked the clutch and he said it was o.k.

So do I go and buy a fan clutch for an automatic if the space of the radiator-fan is less or what do you recommend? It isn't heating up or anything but I'm concerned on the sound it makes.

Whistleing/whining type sound from the fan is normal. It can be more pronounced with new or HD fan clutches that make the fan spin more.

Before I replaced my fan clutch I still had my factory 1992 Fan clutch with 275k miles on it. I never heard the fan, but it finally started to heat up.

I heard another X with a standard fan clutch (not hd) and I could barely hear the fan, but with our HD clutch I really hear the sound.

Now if all you did was change the radiator only, and not the fan clutch, then I have no idea why you are hearing the noise now and not before other than you now have air moving in a different path (e.g. you now have more or less distance between the fan and the clutch). If there was a problem (fan hitting the radiator) you would know it...

~Mark

My NAPA Fan Clutch (3 fan clutches) made a high pitched whiney noise, switched back to Ford Fan Clutch and runs quiet again.

Back