• Register Today It's free!

fan clutch

nkexplrr

Reaction score
City, State
Home:New Kent,Va School:Harrisonburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 F-150 4x4
Has anyone had problems with their fan clutch? My AC doesn't blow cold, but it tests normally for freon pressure. The only thing I can figure is a bad fan clutch. On other cars I have noticed they idle higher when the AC cuts on. Is this the case for 91 explorers w/ manual tranny or is it different? I know practically nothing more about it and i hate takin it to shops cause they always say its bad and charge out the ass and more often than not it doesn't fix the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How does the AC perform at highway speeds with plenty of air comming in?

I know this may sound stupid, but did you remember to push the fan knob in.

At high speeds its not super cool, but then again its better than standing still, and Pico, yeah the A/C knob is def. pushed in. Does anybody's explorers rev higher when the A/C clicks on?

I've had trouble with my fan clutch, but it usually shows up as trouble with the engine overheating. Does your engine overheat as well? You may consider blowing the radiator and condenser out to make sure they aren't full of dirt and bugs.

If the idle drops when you turn on the a/c (e.g. doesn't stay the same or go higher) then your IAC (AIC) is bad. Thats the Idle air control (Air Idle Control) that is bolted to the intake plenum on the drivers side.

In order for the air to get cold you need to compress the gas. You can tell if you are getting the diffierence in pressure by grabbing the 2 hoses at receive/dryer. One should be hot, one should be cold. If the temp is near the same, thats bad.. There should be a big difference.

here is a very good troubleshooting article for a/c
http://www.diesel-central.com/News/ford-ac2.htm

~Mark

I haven't had any trouble with overheating. BTW one of my heater hoses was cracking and so i replaced them and changed my antifreeze too. I thought the radiator and motor took alot more amtifreeze than it did and ended up with like 90% antifreeze. This isn't bad is it??

Back