different kind of seat question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

different kind of seat question.

Duranged84

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer 4x4 4.0
The 2nd row seats with the storage compartment under the middle seat cushion. Is it possible to use the seat cushion/fabric from one that doesn't flip up with the storage compartment. The truck I'm getting ready to buy has the storage seat but ugly worn tan interior, so I'm going to do yet another interior swap with the Grey in my current truck. I'd like to keep the storage seat if it's not too much trouble.

Also, my last and current truck are both 03's everything swapped (from explorer to mountaineer) without changes in wiring or mounting. The new truck is an 02. Does anyone know if any dash wiring or air bag wiring will be different? I know I'm going to keep the original driver airbag in it, but wondering if I'm going to be stuck with a tan passenger air bag until I find another 02 one in Grey. Anything change in steering columns? My current one is in good shape while the 02's shift interlock is getting worn out. Instrument cluster wiring? Both will be mountaineer clusters so I can use either one but wondering if I need to swap dash harnesses while they are out too. Anybody have wiring diagrams for these trucks they wouldn't mind sending?

Edit- I got the VIN from the dealer and called Ford, it has a build date of 3-5-02 so looking on car-part I was able to answer some of my questions on the swap-able parts. It still lists the instrument cluster as 02 only, is that because of wiring or gauge face changes like the explorers did? I remember driving an 02 Expy that had different markings/coloring but everything seemed to be in the same spot as my 03. Both trucks are without info center if that helps.

Is the cover for the passenger air bag removable? I have seen some that the module is seperate from the cover but have never looked at these closely enough. I did look on carpart and seen that 02 does have 2 different ones based on early and late build. I havent been back to the car lot to check the build date, but I have found another air bag on carpart for $60 anyway.

Second edit-- I did a google search of the vin and scored a full carfax report from the dealer that has it. (Though they dont have the truck on their website anywhere....) Kind of a neat plus

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This site is an excellent source for wiring diagrams:

http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

They have TSBs and wiring diagrams on that site, so just look under the wiring diagrams.

Thanks for the link. I just looked at a couple things, I'll have to look around it more on the laptop later. Phones being a pain, probably needs a reboot. Very awesome find, thanks again.

The 2nd row seats with the storage compartment under the middle seat cushion. Is it possible to use the seat cushion/fabric from one that doesn't flip up with the storage compartment. The truck I'm getting ready to buy has the storage seat but ugly worn tan interior, so I'm going to do yet another interior swap with the Grey in my current truck. I'd like to keep the storage seat if it's not too much trouble.

Also, my last and current truck are both 03's everything swapped (from explorer to mountaineer) without changes in wiring or mounting. The new truck is an 02. Does anyone know if any dash wiring or air bag wiring will be different? I know I'm going to keep the original driver airbag in it, but wondering if I'm going to be stuck with a tan passenger air bag until I find another 02 one in Grey. Anything change in steering columns? My current one is in good shape while the 02's shift interlock is getting worn out. Instrument cluster wiring? Both will be mountaineer clusters so I can use either one but wondering if I need to swap dash harnesses while they are out too. Anybody have wiring diagrams for these trucks they wouldn't mind sending?

Edit- I got the VIN from the dealer and called Ford, it has a build date of 3-5-02 so looking on car-part I was able to answer some of my questions on the swap-able parts. It still lists the instrument cluster as 02 only, is that because of wiring or gauge face changes like the explorers did? I remember driving an 02 Expy that had different markings/coloring but everything seemed to be in the same spot as my 03. Both trucks are without info center if that helps.

Is the cover for the passenger air bag removable? I have seen some that the module is seperate from the cover but have never looked at these closely enough. I did look on carpart and seen that 02 does have 2 different ones based on early and late build. I havent been back to the car lot to check the build date, but I have found another air bag on carpart for $60 anyway.

Second edit-- I did a google search of the vin and scored a full carfax report from the dealer that has it. (Though they dont have the truck on their website anywhere....) Kind of a neat plus

I have an 03 with a gray interior that I am parting out. Let me know if you are interested in anything.

Let me think about what I might need. My grey interior is in pretty good shape, my middle second row seat has a small burn in the middle of it but thats about it. Its not bad enough I would buy a whole seat to replace it though. I could use a driver door switch trim thing, I have 3(after I pick the new truck up) good driver switch assemblies, but the little housing they sit in is broke.

I sold my 4.0 today, so Hopefully going to pick up the new truck tomorrow, then the project begins.... always cold when I start a damn project....

If I come across anything that I think could use a replacement, I'll take a pic to remind me and get a list together. I know I could also use a front passenger factory floor mat if you have one, maybe a whole set if the price is good. I could use the carpet if its in really good shape, but dont know about shipping on something that bulky. I think one of my sunvisors is missing the little flap for the mirror.... I will keep you mind and get a list together.

Let me think about what I might need. My grey interior is in pretty good shape, my middle second row seat has a small burn in the middle of it but thats about it. Its not bad enough I would buy a whole seat to replace it though. I could use a driver door switch trim thing, I have 3(after I pick the new truck up) good driver switch assemblies, but the little housing they sit in is broke.

I sold my 4.0 today, so Hopefully going to pick up the new truck tomorrow, then the project begins.... always cold when I start a damn project....

If I come across anything that I think could use a replacement, I'll take a pic to remind me and get a list together. I know I could also use a front passenger factory floor mat if you have one, maybe a whole set if the price is good. I could use the carpet if its in really good shape, but dont know about shipping on something that bulky. I think one of my sunvisors is missing the little flap for the mirror.... I will keep you mind and get a list together.

I will check on some of those things, but let me know when you get a complete list together.

Were you able to get this to work?

The extra storage would be nice.

No, I just used the regular seats. Did a bunch more work and converted it to 4wd then traded it in last week lol.

Back