different tire widths & advancetrac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

different tire widths & advancetrac

jziggy101

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I ran across a deal on some stock 2005 explorer rims with tires that have more than 70% tread left.

Only thing is they are slightly different widths. 2 are 235/70-16 and the other 2 are 245/70-16.

I known tire size differences can cause issues with advancetrac but how about tire width differences?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are those tires sizes right? I've only seen 235/75R16 and 245/65R17. The tire sizes you've mentioned you can measure the difference because the rims are the same. Multiply the 235/245 by the 70(%)/70(%.) The 70 is the pecentage of side wall height of the tread width.

Don't know about advance trac issues? But the speedo will be off.

Edit: re read your post. Don't put those two sets on at the same time, you will cause your front and rear axles to rotate at different speeds, which if 4x is engaged will put a strain and will/can damage your drivetrain.

Pretty sure those sizes are correct. I will have to go out to the shed and look. I believe my current tires are 235/70-16 but the truck is not home at the moment. I did just check tirerack and they state thar is the oem size.

On a metric tire changing the width changes the hight. Don't run em

Back