Differential pinion seal replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differential pinion seal replacement.

dalegg

Reaction score
City, State
Gig Harbor, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer
I have a 96 Eddie Bauer. The front differential pinion seal leaks fluid. Can anyone give me any tips on pulling the shaft out and replacing the seal, especially how to get the pinion shaft nut off, pull the shaft and pull the seal. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you are talking about the pinion seal on the back of the diff, when the yoke comes out and attaches to the driveshaft. To replace the pinion seal I am pretty sure you need to pull the ring and pinion, not something you want to do in your driveway. As far as removing the front driveshaft, just take the straps off the u-joint in the front, and the 6 bolts holding the flange into the transfer case output.

If I am not mistaken, you do not have to remove the ring or the pinion to replace the pinion seal. You just need to remove the nut on the flange and remove the flange. The seal is behind that.
Air tools will help with the removal as will a big breaker bar and alot of muscle.

Yes, you would be able to replace the seal this way. However, technically you would now need to replace the crush sleeve, as it is "not" reusable. In order to do this, you'll def. need to remove the front diff from the truck, and then gut it, in order to be able to pull the pinion and replace the crush sleeve. Of course, I'm not so sure I subscribe to the one-time use theory on that. I rebuilt the rear diff on a '96 Sport a while back. I went out of my way to find a new crush sleeve. When I tried to install "properly", I just couldn't get enough force to crush the new sleeve, so I ended up reusing the old one. It worked out fine.

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials section. Remove the driveshaft, large nut, and the part which connects the U joint to the differential. The seal could be removed once the nut with the adapter are removed. A new seal is pressed into place.

Having this performed at dealer now. Dont have alot of time to search, service manager is claiming he is putting 75w140 Motorcraft Synthetic in the front diff. Is this ok?? Last year I put in Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w90. Told him I would bring in some Mobil 1 but guaranteed me 75w140 would work... Doesnt sound right to me. Anyone availabe for a really quick response??? And Thanks

It's fine. The 75w140 synthetic is the spec for the rear diff, with a LS. However, it won't hurt anything in, putting it in the front.

THANKS for quick response Carguy!! I put in 75W140 (Royal Purple) for the rear axle last year, 75W90 (Mobil 1) for the front. Had no idea if 75W140 would be too heavy for the front or not, appreciate the info!! Have done a lot of work on the Ex, seal I wasnt tackling.

Back