Differential, rear, or which pumpkins will fit and what are those bolts on the driveshaft flange? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differential, rear, or which pumpkins will fit and what are those bolts on the driveshaft flange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number Twelve

Reaction score
City, State
15 miles west of Tampa Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
OK! Half-price day at the local Automotive Dismantling and Recycling Emporium. Free pumpkin coming tomorrow if I can just look up which ones will fit. Where do I look for 2005 rear differential, .373 non-locking, interchangeables? What numbers do I need to be sure its a non-locker? What numbers do I need to "name that pumpkin"?

Also, there are some 12 point, looks like inverted Torx head bolts on the drive shaft flange. What are those called and what size are they so I can go buy the right socket?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is that the rear end that is in there now? is it a 4x4? roll under you truck its just a 12 point socket i think 3/8 or 10mm not sure.. there also may be a tag number on your axle

A 12 mm 12 point socket seems to fit.
A vernier caliper shows 0.535 cross the points of the bolt head and the socket measures 0.549 across the same place.
I was afraid someone had invented a 12 point inverted Torx just to mess with me.:D
And I'm still not completely sure!:dunno:
I guess I'll find out when I either do or don't strip something into oblivion.
The worst that can happen is that I destroy the bolts in the yunk yard, Sawzall the driveshaft off, and buy the right socket on Monday.:rolleyes:

ps, I described the differential in my car. It roars. I want to get lucky and get a free pumpkin that isn't worn out. Yes, I know it's a matter of luck, but it's a free shot at getting lucky.

Going out to read the tag now...

Geeze It's hard to read 4 inches from your nose at 66 years old!!!
A05 seems like a date code

Big white sticker:
V671J
043020888D
V671J043020888D
V671J 3.73

and a partial off the metal tag:
884K27

A 12 mm 12 point socket seems to fit.
A vernier caliper shows 0.535 cross the points of the bolt head and the socket measures 0.549 across the same place.
I was afraid someone had invented a 12 point inverted Torx just to mess with me.:D
And I'm still not completely sure!:dunno:
I guess I'll find out when I either do or don't strip something into oblivion.
The worst that can happen is that I destroy the bolts in the yunk yard, Sawzall the driveshaft off, and buy the right socket on Monday.:rolleyes:

ps, I described the differential in my car. It roars. I want to get lucky and get a free pumpkin that isn't worn out. Yes, I know it's a matter of luck, but it's a free shot at getting lucky.

Going out to read the tag now...
@Number Twelve
I use a 3/8 drive 12-point 12mm socket and 1/2 X 3/8 adapter to fit it on my 1/2" impact wrench. Loosening those buggers by hand its rough. imp

Only difference I can think of now is 2005 is 4 channel ABS, as it will have a plastic plug where the rear ABS sensor port is for 3 channel ABS. It may interchange though just the sensor is not used.

I see you started a second thread on this topic so I closed this one to avoid confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back