DIY OEM PIU Back up camera how to. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DIY OEM PIU Back up camera how to.

paulsobj

Reaction score
City, State
New Prague
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
You can DIY install a OEM camera.

Highly recommended parts

*FORD EXPLORER WIRING DIAGRAM SERVICE MANUAL ~$20.

full.jpg

Needed parts

*Buy a lift gate harness that has a camera. There are a few part numbers that work with different options like power liftgate w/camera, power liftgate wo/camera...etc. The manual lists the part numbers. I bought FB5T-14A58-GB4WA FA You might have to search portions of the part number and not the whole thing. The silver “GA”: was my old harness and yellow “FA” was the new harness.
full.jpg

*Rear liftgate camera and bezel EB5Z-19G490-A $~250 (camera only! you need the bezel too.) or car-part.com and call the junk yard and request the bezel be included. I recommend the junk yard option.

full.png

option 1 rearview mirror screen

buy rearview mirror with camera BU5Z-17700-L ~$800

Fordpartsgiant.com is the best to find the sub part number DB5Z-14334 that has the rear mirror camera example below , as the harness installed for me did not have the needed wires.

full.png

full.png

Option 2 for screen in dash

full.png

buy pigtail "WPT-1161 AU2Z-14S411-BC", others will work, this is just the one for the radio. So I knew it would work.

full.png

The main harness had the wires ran from the liftgate connection C494 and C935 up to the rear-view mirror and BCM.

This is connector C934. You need wires in pins 1 and 2. They run the BCM.

full.png

This is connector C935.
full.png

Look for wires:

Position, color, function

Pin 2, VT-BN, VPWR

Pin 6, GY-VT, LIN 3

Pin 8, WH-GN, Video +

Pin 7, BN-VT, Video –

Pin 9, BK, Shield

(3 and 4 are reference wires)

You can see I was missing wires for my original tailgate C935 connector below

full.png

The PIU's had rear view video in the rear view mirror because the laptop blocked the radio screen. You can buy the mirror and plug it in or you can get a pin and release the two wires from the connector in the A pillar and reroute them down to the radio.

full.png

This is connector C317. For the dash video, you need to pull out:

Position, color, function

Pin 2, BK, Shield

Pin 7, BN-VT, Video -

Pin 8, WH-GN, Video +

full.png

You will need a small pin connector to add it to the oem radio electrical block. Finding this part was hard. I called FLVP to see if he could tell me what the part number was but he said no. Even after i offered to pay him to provide me with nothing but a part number..... so for anyone who cares, buy a ford pigtail 3u2z14s411sa (Front control / Display interface module) It is 12 pins.
full.png

full.png

This will give you the length and correct pins to add to the factory radio block.

The shield I think I just ran to a ground as seen in the picture.
full.png

Add the WT-GN (video +) to pin 6 in the display connector.

Add BN-VT (video -) to Pin 12

Look for the plastic bar to figure out what one in + and -.

full.png

I might need to do a few edits, but the family is back and i need to go....

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thank you for your time and effort in putting that together.
For anyone having to buy parts, this site has some of the best prices when compared to the Fordparts site; Search Results | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

super tempting, saw one in my city for 80 dollars.

Back