Do I need a torque wrench to replace the upper control arm/ball joint? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I need a torque wrench to replace the upper control arm/ball joint?

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6
Title says it all. When i do it I plan to take it to an alignment shop right away. They should be able to torque everything down to correct specs right? This is my first time replacing ball joints and I don't want to buy this tool unless I need it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO, don't work on cars if you don't want to torque-to-spec. You can get torque wrenches pretty cheap at harbor freight. I've tested them against higher quality wrenches and they were within spec.

More than likely, your wheels won't be out of alignment. Most places won't charge unless an adjustment was made. But you might ask.

Not really but better if you have to. I religiously used torque wrenches before but over time I just do it by feel. There are cases where a torque wrench will not fit in certain areas.
It is a must when doing engine and transmission work.
Torque wrenches are cheap in harbor freight, around $11 with a coupon.

Always torque to spec. The torque is what seats the ball joint into the spindle.
If you don't want to buy a torque wrench, the local parts stores have loaners. No reason not to it properly.

And... no, an alignment shop won't touch the ball joints. Ball joints aren't adjusted for alignment.
The alignment is set with the tie rods and a-arms.

Back