Do i need new shocks for lift coils and shackles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do i need new shocks for lift coils and shackles?

Reaction score
City, State
New Boston, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Just as the title asks. If i get some sky jacker 2" lift coils and some warrior shackles for my 92 explorer 4x4 would i need to get some new shocks to go along with the new crap or can i get away with runnign the stock shocks till they need replacing? Thanks for any help.

Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PoisonPancakes said:
Just as the title asks. If i get some sky jacker 2" lift coils and some warrior shackles for my 92 explorer 4x4 would i need to get some new shocks to go along with the new crap or can i get away with runnign the stock shocks till they need replacing? Thanks for any help.

Rick

From what i have read, you can run the stock Shocks, They may limit you Travel some, but the Stocks will be fine until they need replacing....

Ill get you that shipping qoute tommorow.....

Sweet. I'll need new shocks soon anyways, the ones i have are starting to get a little too soft.

Yep, Stockers will be fine. In fact, I think if you order new shocks for up to 2" of lift, the shock you will get will still be like a stock length shock. When I ordered ranchos for my old '94 I asked for 2" lift shocks and when they came they were marginally longer than my stockers I had on the truck. And I think they were only a little longer because it was a different brand of shock. :)

Unless you install extended front brake lines you want to stay with stock length shocks. The stock shocks will limit the travel, but if you go with a longer shock the next limit to front travel is the brake lines. They can't handle being used as limiting straps and will break. If you stick with the stock length shocks you will be fine.

Back