Do you paint your new replacement parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you paint your new replacement parts

JCat

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer
I am completely re-building the front drive line on my 98 AWD Mounty. I got new bearings (with hubs), axle & cv joints, & all ball joints. I got new sway bar bushings, and I'm prepared to buy shocks and brakes if I need to.

You know all this **** comes unpainted.

I degreased all of these parts with lacquer thinner, and now I'm painting them gloss black.

When I lived in Detroit, because of the salt they used in the winters, EVERYTHING rusted like right now. Now that I live in Georgia (no salt) I am wondering if painting these parts is overkill.

Opinions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think so. I didn't paint my new parts when I did a SAS and now they're a nice rust color. They'd probably be gone by now if I was in MI.

On a related topic: I think you have the lowest post-per-day average on the site. :D

yes paint everything paint lots and paint even when its cold out
generic flat black is $0.78 at lowes

No need to paint anything. Rust doesn't hurt any of the things you mentioned. It may not look pretty, but it doesn't affect their function.

My theory on painting new parts:

Runs before rust.

Ryan

100% agree with Spd, Why do all that work to have it all look like crap in a few years? I recently painted my axle, pumpkin, driveshaft, and rear sway bar, all of em look great now. No one ever sees the driveshaft, but I do when I'm working under there, so it matters to me. I've put many hard hours into my truck and I want it to look good, for both myself and everyone else to look at. Nothing beats a compliment on your truck after doing everything yourself :D Plus, having lived in GA for over 18 years, I can vouch for the fact that painting it is unnecessary, but it makes it look so much better, so go for it man. :thumbsup:

Back