Does anyone have a picture of 30 or 31 inch BFG AT's on a 97 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone have a picture of 30 or 31 inch BFG AT's on a 97 XLT?

MattStarr

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
St Petersburg, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' EB Expedition
Im wondering if I can fit 31's without rubbing. I was wondering if anyone has pictures of an XLT with these. Ive seen pics of the sports, but now I want to see the 4 dr. My next tire will be BFG at's, Im just not sure what size to get b/c I dont want to have to trim.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

0003.jpg

I rubbed with 31s until I did the TT lift.

Was that just in the front that you rubbed? I really didnt want to mess with the suspension. Cuz I cant really do a TT/shackles, i have no "skills" at all so i'd have to pay someone. Anyone else got a closer pic?

I know it's not a '97, but they're 31's...... I only rub when i turn full lock left, hitting some minor bumps....
267658_8_full.jpg

That looks nice man....

anyone want to help me do a TT/shackles/AAL

cant really afford to pay ya, but i can give ya beer:chug: for the help

Originally posted by MattStarr
Was that just in the front that you rubbed? I really didnt want to mess with the suspension. Cuz I cant really do a TT/shackles, i have no "skills" at all so i'd have to pay someone. Anyone else got a closer pic?

Yeah, I only rubbed in the front right wheel well (upper most part of the plastic). If you don't want to lift and you want to be certain you won't have any rubbing.. I'd get a 30 incher.

But lifting is veeeeerrrrry cheap and easy! :D

I know lifting is cheap....

but I CANT do $hit, imnot mechanically inclined dude...

someone help me!!!!

when my X was stock, 30x9.50R15's fit fine, no rubbing, they really filled out the wheel wells and looked good. Now with the TT/shackle lift 31's fit fine, no rubbing at all.

If you were closer I'd help you do the TT/shackles, it's really not that hard at all.

Drive down to Mississippi and I'll do it for free.

-Justin

Thats a little too far man... when are you going to be on the east coast buddy???

Thats a sweet ride man.... Do you have a pic of when it was stock height with 31's?

Torsion twist will take only a few minutes , you may need an alignment afterwards (I did anyways)and a camber kit (I needed that also). You can get the shackles for around 50 bucks.They are Warrior shackles part #153 if I remember right.Do you have a hitch?If so it will have to come off to remove the old shackles. Complete job would take maybe 2 hours.Give me a shout if you wanna tackle the lift.

I put 31x10.50s on my 2nd Gen and rubbed small holes in the wheel well plastic. That was with a TT, AAL and rearching the rears.

It was only the front wheel wells, the rear had tons of space...but then mine sat lower than the average X right out of the dealers lot.

I have no clue why. :( I didn't get rid of the rub on compression until I did the 3" body lift.

But then I drive like a lunatic :p and I love to run through the sink hole and dips for air time. :rolleyes:

Go for the lift!

The TT is as simple as a ruler and a socket wrench and a little patience. Then get an alignment. I had the AAL done by a spring shop because like I said for some reason mine was on the ground when I bought it (and it only had 10 miles on it)...so I had them re-arch when they dropped in the extra leaf.

Heres my 97 xlt 4door on 31x10.5R15.. I dont rub at all..It's time for some 33's. Theyre coming soon.. The first pic is with TT/Shackles/AAL
317999_1_full.jpg

This picture is with TT/AAL/Shackles/3BL
317999_19_full.jpg

Back