Does the Explorer have takata airbags? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does the Explorer have takata airbags?

2010 Eddie Bauer

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe, Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010, Explorer Eddie B.
Just curious what company made the airbags for the 2010 Ford Explorer. Rangers and other Ford cars of the same year range were recalled for defective airbags. Why not the explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my family, someone with a Mercedes, and Toyota got the letters multiple times.
I had 2 Exporers, never got any recalls for the air bags.

I checked on the website and our trucks are not listed.

In my family, someone with a Mercedes, and Toyota got the letters multiple times.
I had 2 Exporers, never got any recalls for the air bags.

I checked on the website and our trucks are not listed.

I have seen that they are not listed, but it seems weird to me. The 2010 rangers and fusions were recalled in addition to most other Ford vehicles. What makes the fourth generation explorers so special that they were not recalled?

I have no idea.
The only thing that comes to my mind is that the ranger was still really based (or vice versa) on 2nd gen explorers with the old style dashboards and steering wheels.

Define most other Ford Vehicles... Per the recall listings, certain years of the GT, Mustang, Ranger, Edge, and Fusion were affected.

That only leaves vehicles like the Explorer, F-series trucks, E-series vans, Crown Vic, Escape, Excursion, Expedition, Focus, Freestar, Taurus, 500, Thunderbird, Freestyle among others that did not have the Takata recalled airbags in them. Probably way more Fords that were not recalled than were when you look at the models affected...

Most parts in these vehicles are made by a number of outside companies, and typically not all of the eggs are in one basket at a time...

Back