driver's door wont unlock! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

driver's door wont unlock!

i had the same problem and let me tell you it was an easy fix, all i did was buy a can of " RUST CHECK " sold almost anywhere, give a good spray around the door latch and let it sit for about half a day and voila everything is all good again and working. just give it a shot of the rust check every so often and everything should be good. hope this helps for any future folks that have that problem....... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks I'll try that...

no prob bud always glad to lend a hand or opinion in saving a bit of cash ;)

BogFather...I went to AutoZone & Walmart & could not find " Rust Check"...could it be Rust..something else??
Thanx again

no it's called rust check. but then again it may not be available in the states. you could also use some sort of spray lubricant, and like i said just give a shot and leave it for a while, then do this every so often.... :)

Door Won't Unlock

I have a 98' explorer sport and am also having the same problem as everyone else. It started yesterday, i went to open the driver side door from the outside and felt something click (it's never done that before). When I tried to open the door again it wouldn't unlock from the inside handle, power locks, keyfob, or by using the actual key. It looks like its trying to unlock, but no dice.

It seems like the consensus is that it's not nessarry to remove the entire door panel to take a look at the door latch spring, But I'm unable to open the door at all. Has anyone had any success on unlocking the door manually?

Same problem here.

My passenger door died. It will unlock with remote and using the key but I have to phsyically push the button to lock the car. In the winter time, if there is any indication of ice my rear tailgate wont even unlock at all. I"m definitly going to try the rust check solution before I start to take the door panels off. I really want to fix this problem before it gets cold.

I'll try to post some pictures when I take the door panels off this coming weekend.

My '98 sport had the same problem as proftomda

The door would not unlock with the key or power locks, when using the remote, the door lock button would come up 1/4" and drop back down.

I used the Focus to "jump" the Explorer battery and make sure it was fully juiced, then I hit the unlock button until it finally popped (probably a dozen+ times!). I was very lucky...

The spring was poped out, so I blasted everything with WD-40 and locked the latched the door WHILE IT WAS OPEN. It never opend again.

$70 for the mechanism from the dealer and it works better than new.

Removal/replacement was as proftomda stated, tight for a guy with ham-hands!

Tested WITH THE DOOR OPEN and it was perfect.

A good guage to see if you are headed down that road is the power locks get noisey and harsh. With the new lock mechanism, it's almost silent. Sorry, this was "Pre-digital camera" so, no pix.

So mine won't unlock at all now! Not with the keyfob, keypad, power button or the key. Won't unlock - won't open.

Is there a way to manually unlock the door?

Seems like something Ford should fix for free!!

How the heck do you get the door open to even try to fix it? Anyone know?

OK How to get the door Open

Carefully using a screwdriver or Bike Tire Lever to get you fingers in behind the Trim and pull out and up
That gets part access to the top area.
Get your hand in behind the plastic sheet and feel for the door latch to door handle rod
Push it up and try the unlock button or turn the key unlock

Bingo mine opened

Now to follow the guides above and hopefully you will be on the way to a repair

Note:
The front door window glass must be completely up.

PM me if need be;)

I have used deicer on the door locks and that has worked for me.

I took a pic - not the best - but it might help. The top end of the spring is just hooked over the lip of the latch casing.

explorerlatchspring.jpg

Having the same problem with my 98 sport. The spring wasn't even there at first, but I was messing with the door and it finaly came down, I could see a piece of it , and after I jiggled the handle enough it dropped down enough to where it was jsut hanging there. is it possible to reatach all that stuff?

Thanks

Ok, I reatached the spring without waiting...... One end was broken off and the other end had a 3/4 loop in it. I took the broke end and make a 95 to 100 degree bend in it and placed it on the assembly that brings the lock up and down, and took the factory loop and placed it on the door like in the picture. It worked, but when I was playing with it (testing it) it popped out of there and I had to find it on the ground. Put a little more bend on it and placed it back in there and it works and I didn't mess with it this time. So I am guessing it will pop off again.

Should of I put the factory loop around the lock opener or did I do right by putting it in the door assembly its self.

OK How to get the door Open

Carefully using a screwdriver or Bike Tire Lever to get you fingers in behind the Trim and pull out and up
That gets part access to the top area.
Get your hand in behind the plastic sheet and feel for the door latch to door handle rod
Push it up and try the unlock button or turn the key unlock

Bingo mine opened

Now to follow the guides above and hopefully you will be on the way to a repair

Note:
The front door window glass must be completely up.

PM me if need be;)
I know this is a later post... But i had the same problem, and thanks for the tip on how to get the door open. On my 00 Sport, my passenger door was stuck. The lock wouldnt unlock from the handle inside, the keyfob, or the key from the outside. It just wouldnt open. So what i had to do was, remove the passenger seat and pass it out through the window. Then remove the door panel the best i could with the door closed...(did this by, removing the two screws above the inside handle, then popped out the plastic ring around the handle. Put a small pry bar between the "latch" side of the door and pryed out a bit until i could get a screwdriver in there to start working the prybar to the bottom.. The clips unclipped enough until it got up near the speaker as the remainder of clips were between the dash and the door.) Then i took off the plastic backer and reached inside.
USING THE METHOD DESCRIBED ABOVE i reached in past the inside door handle rod and pushed up on the lever, hit the unlock button on the door and WALLA!!! the door popped open...Here is what it looks like inside. Your going to have to push up on the rod with the yellow thing on it to get it to unlock..
Nov2010TurkeyDayandTruckDoorrepair029.jpg

Here is what my latch looks like???? I dont see the spring that you guys are showing in your other picture? But my door did work afterward even after locking it and unlocking it with button/keyfob/key.... But i lubed everything up and put it back together for now. My truck dosent get driven at the moment, so im not worried about it. Ill see if I have any problems later, and if i do, Ill fix it then. HOPE THIS HELPS
Nov2010TurkeyDayandTruckDoorrepair028.jpg

Nov2010TurkeyDayandTruckDoorrepair026.jpg

I know this is an old post but I just had this happen to me. In Jerzey's pics that rod with the yellow clip has a spring attached to it, but in my case the spring is gone but can find pieces of it. How I fixed was I zip tied it up. Just enough pressure to hold it up a bit. Has been working fine. Have pics but unable to post them.

Thanks bud,
It was an annoying problem, but so far so good.........

Ford explorer door

Having a real problem. We went to shut our door today and it won't stay shut. It seems like something snapped any ideas??

1993 Ford explorer door

Having a real problem. We went to shut our door today and it won't stay shut. It seems like something snapped any ideas??

Does the door physically close all the way, it just wont latch closed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took a pic - not the best - but it might help. The top end of the spring is just hooked over the lip of the latch casing.

explorerlatchspring.jpg

I know this is a super super old thread... had same issues... hooked my spring up like that (it was broken) and... it works... but... when you shut the door the spring impacts/rubs the piece the latch hooks too and makes a crunkle/grind sound... it works, but... is there a better location to hook to? Lol.

Back