Door Handle Covers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Handle Covers

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In a high desert city not far from ghost towns ...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I want to have black door handles. I did a search here and read about wrapping, painting, dipping, and swapping handles. Getting real Ford made handles is pretty pricey and I'm not sure about the low cost ones you see online that are likely not OEM.

I see two companies, SES Trim and Chrome Warehouse offering gloss black covers that attach with 3M adhesive.

Anyone use them? Are they hard to install, or remove? Mainly, are they pretty undetectable and do they hold up?

THANKS for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only found chrome from those manufacturers, maybe I miss clicked somewhere. I did take off some chrome ones, they were stuck pretty good and almost invisible unless you carefully inspected them. To remove carefully lift one edge on a very hot day or with a heat gun, they are tough to remove, they may break if enough heat isn't used and some sort of pry tool to break the adhesive bond.

I only saw black w/smart key from Chrome Warehouse. They have a 30 day return policy, and they look pretty thin. You shouldn't be able to tell what they are once installed.

You could look for wrecks to get black ones from. If you want gloss black, you might also look at this. http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/b...QR-YUA2R9OXLa4RrIf8yr6hN6hXLfv4_kUaAofb8P8HAQ

Also just found this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Black-Door-Handles-Ford-Explorer-NEW-BB5Z7822404-AA-BT4Z-78218B08-AB/142281682847?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=41404&meid=27dfb2a84a6d4b9bb58daad7c20abd4e&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=5&sd=252397196678

I read a little about swapping actual handles on this site. Is it pretty simple? I did note the caution about losing a screw into the door, etc. so I was a little hesitant but that price seems good. THANKS.

I haven't done it, so I can't say. I would imagine it's going to be a pain, one way or the other.

I am doing a similar thing. I want to change my chrome handles to gloss black. I just received the SES Trim ones (ordered through CarID), and although they fit well, the smart key hole was way too big for my 2016 and you could see a lot of chrome coming through. I'm returning them, but I think they would be great for the correct handles. I think previous years had bigger smart key bubbles. The rest of the fit was pretty snug and they would have looked great. They also came with a tube of primer to help with adhesion to the OEM door handle, but I think it would forever mark the original handle. I did not plan on using it as I would want to take off all the covers if I lost one.

I used plasti-dip with glossifier to black out my grille and rear trim and it turned out great. I might do the same to my handles, but don't think they won't last too long with all the touching.

When I had my '98 the door handles were color matched to the body. I wanted chrome and found a set at JC Whitney. They may have been Putco brand. JCW probably has them for your '13 and then you could Plasti-dip them or just paint them. They attached with double sided 3M tape and lasted years until I sold it. Just a thought.

I am doing a similar thing. I want to change my chrome handles to gloss black. I just received the SES Trim ones (ordered through CarID), and although they fit well, the smart key hole was way too big for my 2016 and you could see a lot of chrome coming through. I'm returning them, but I think they would be great for the correct handles. I think previous years had bigger smart key bubbles. The rest of the fit was pretty snug and they would have looked great. They also came with a tube of primer to help with adhesion to the OEM door handle, but I think it would forever mark the original handle. I did not plan on using it as I would want to take off all the covers if I lost one.

I used plasti-dip with glossifier to black out my grille and rear trim and it turned out great. I might do the same to my handles, but don't think they won't last too long with all the touching.

Did you pull the grille off or loosen it, mask it off, and paint it?

I MIGHT give those SES Trim covers a try and maybe use a small piece of thin plastic or even a good tape to patch the smart key hole.

I MIGHT give those SES Trim covers a try and maybe use a small piece of thin plastic or even a good tape to patch the smart key hole.
I pretty much just masked it off in place. There was one plastic piece on top of the grille and radiator I removed with about 6 screws. I worked an old painting sheet behind the grille to protect the radiator from overspray.

I'll post a few pictures. The DYC videos are really good, but I think they leave out the plasti-dip should be warm. I put mine in hot water for 10 minutes prior to use and it came out thin like spray paint. It was much easier that way.

I want to have black door handles. I did a search here and read about wrapping, painting, dipping, and swapping handles. Getting real Ford made handles is pretty pricey and I'm not sure about the low cost ones you see online that are likely not OEM.

I see two companies, SES Trim and Chrome Warehouse offering gloss black covers that attach with 3M adhesive.

Anyone use them? Are they hard to install, or remove? Mainly, are they pretty undetectable and do they hold up?

THANKS for any input.

had mine wrapped http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...our-5th-gen-today.430705/page-27#post-3605272

I guess I can't add pics... just joined and still figuring this out.

As an alternative, you can get those SES trim covers without the smart key holes. If you don't have those big bubbles, it would look nicer in the end. You won't be able to lock the door from the handle anymore. If you don't mind using the key FOB, or if you leave your keys in it and lock it with the 7,8 - 9,0 keys on the door, you'll be good to go.

https://www.carid.com/2016-ford-exp...es/ses-trims-door-handle-cover-180368476.html

jonnoriega, how are those vinyl-wrapped handles holding up?

As an alternative, you can get those SES trim covers without the smart key holes. If you don't have those big bubbles, it would look nicer in the end. You won't be able to lock the door from the handle anymore. If you don't mind using the key FOB, or if you leave your keys in it and lock it with the 7,8 - 9,0 keys on the door, you'll be good to go.

https://www.carid.com/2016-ford-exp...es/ses-trims-door-handle-cover-180368476.html

Welcome to the Forum Randall.:wave:
You can post directly from your device if you take out a $20 Elite membership or use a 3rd party site like Photobucket. Pictures from a 3rd sire have a habit of disappearing after a while. Those posted with an Elite membership are saved on our servers.

Peter

Thanks for the link but could not find any black SES covers without the smart key holes for my 2013. Also, are the handles for the 2016 a match for 2013?

Thanks for the link but could not find any black SES covers without the smart key holes for my 2013. Also, are the handles for the 2016 a match for 2013?
Sorry. I double checked and I guess you can't get them without key holes unless you choose chrome. The 2016s ae the same ones they're selling for the 2013s... the product number is exactly the same.

Sorry. I double checked and I guess you can't get them without key holes unless you choose chrome. The 2016s ae the same ones they're selling for the 2013s... the product number is exactly the same.

Thanks for confirming. I may still consider these and just black out the area that's exposed.

Anyone know if these will fit the 5th Gen Explorer Door handles? They look similar, I can't confirm if the door handle part numbers of the Ranger T6 and the Explorer are the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATTE-BLACK...ash=item4d62d5508b:g:AkUAAOxyXzxTItFv&vxp=mtr
Tony, if you check the site for compatibility you will find this message comes up;
This part is not compatible with 2013 Ford Explorer XLT Base Sport Utility 4-Door 3.5L 3490CC 213Cu. In. V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated.

Peter

Did you end up buying these?

My driver side door handle seems to have gotten a scratch on it somehow and I'm looking to cover it with one of those covers with the two smart keyholes.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 2015 I have started to notice the door handles are starting to fade. I vehicle color is "tuxedo black" but looks metallic black in the sun. I am not sure if it would be best to just take the handles off and have a body shop paint to match or just get the gloss black covers from SES Trims.

Back