Door Lock Actuator Motors Identical | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Lock Actuator Motors Identical

swshawaii

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
I thought the front and rear actuator were the same, but it turns out they're not.
See post #85 in "New Toy" link below before proceeding. Earlier models are different and may have permanently attached rods.

New Toy

I believe this applies to Gen 1-2-3 (1991-2005) Explorers. Heads up for those of you with noisy or intermittent door lock actuators that are hesitating to replace these seriously overpriced parts. Door lock actuators are the same regardless of which door they are used on. Only differences are the mounting brackets and latch rods. Reuse the OEM brackets and latch rods. Remove the bracket and rod from the new actuator first. Unplug the wire connector, pry the motor out of the bracket noting the raised pivot mount point, and attach the latch rod. Be very careful not to pinch your fingers inside the bracket when removing or reinstalling the actuator. Removing the window run channel and latch screws will give additional room to work. Search RockAuto in the "Body" category and compare their usually accurate pics, you will find that pricing varies greatly. First pic is the front (top) and rear (bottom) actuators for comparison. The NAPA/Echlin replacement shown on the very bottom had a Ford part number and a FoMoCo stamp. I previously broke a plastic retainer clip on an actuator connector and used a small hose clamp around the connector to repair. Also found that flushing the latches with non rubber safe solvents such as brake cleaner or PB Blaster will find a direct path down the actuator rod to the rubber boot and damage it quickly. Note the swollen rubber boot in the top pic, it would not stay on and is not available separately. Tie wrap maybe?

NOTE- REAR glass run channels are NOT removeable on 2001-05 Sport Tracs. This makes access to the rear actuator brackets difficult with no visibility. I managed by taping a small mirror to the door interior and using a shop light. Difficult, but it can be done.

Both pics. Front door actuator on top, rear on bottom.
32Fv6Ia.jpg

vplvdUA.jpg

Thanks for the info @swshawaii

When my rear passenger actuator went out, I hit the junkyard and pulled one from the same door. Now, I am considering pulling some other ones from the junkyard for spares, since they will work in any door...

Toypaseo, good point regarding salvage yards. Unless you need the brackets and latch rods, I would be inclined to look for the least used doors being the rears or passenger front. Looking at the RockAuto site, even the rear cargo actuator motor appears the same as the others. Chances are the "pickers" would go for the driver door before the others anyway. Although the actuator motors are only being used when using the switches or fobs, the nylon gears are engaging any time the door is opened with the door handles. This is even more important regarding failure prone door latches. Now if we can only keep this a secret from the junkyard vultures. ;) LOL

Back