• Register Today It's free!

Door locking problem

agarbs87

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
none
i have a 1997 ford explorer 2 door sport.

The problem is sometimes the door will not want to unlock. I have the buttons on my key and when i press them it makes the noise like it wants to unkock but it doesnt. I try to use the key itself in the door but that doesnt work either. I usually have to go through the passenger side and pull the lever on the inside to open the drivers door. I dont know if it is just freezing from the cold weather but i just sprayed the locking mechanism on the door with WD40. Can it be anything else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If there is a sound coming from the door like it is trying to unlock, then it is likely mechanical (ie. linkages). If there is no sound coming from the door, then it is likely electrical (ie. broken / disconnected wire in the door or door jam area).

yeah there is a sound coming from the door like it wants to unlock. I went out this morning and it wouldnt unlock, i had to go throught the passenger side. Like i said it only does this sometimes. Is there any specific linkage that i should check. Pictures or directions would help if possible. THANKS!

I don't have keyless entry, but this happens to my locks about every 6 months.

I just spray some WD-40 inside the key entry, and it works fine again. The first time they started sticking (and eventually I couldn't get in at all) the dealer charged me $40 to grease them.

In fact my passenger lock is doing this right now, so I'm about to go outside and spray it.

There are a few threads about this with no easy solution. Do a search on door latches.

The driver side lock on my 98 Sport is doing the same thing.

My '98 Sport did the same thing turned out to be the locking mechanism in the door needed to be replaced. You might look into it, I've heard this is a common problem from other Sport owners around here. Good Luck

I'd guess you need a new latch. It's about $50 from Ford and a real pain to install. I had the same problem with mine.

broken spring in latch. no way to fix it. like mikeh said ^^^^

If i had a broken spring wouldnt it not work all the time? because mine only does it sometimes (about 2 times a week)

Back