Door Locks Please HELP!!

Jerzey

Reaction score
City, State
Collinsville, IL formally from Atlantic City area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Okay guys here is the rundown.
Ive got an 00 Explorer Sport 2door (obviously)
Anyhow, ive had a few problems with my doors that progressivly got worse. First started out as my drivers door wouldnt unlock with the remote. Then it became that the door wouldnt unlock with the key! So i always had to either leave the drivers window down or open the passenger door and open the drivers door via the inside handle.
Now my passenger door wont unlock. Passenger door wont unlock with the key or the remote or the inside handle. There is tension on the handle from the inside like someones holding the lock down or something when i pull the handle. And it will only stop when i try and turn the key. The lock "nipple" near the window will jiggle slightly when trying the key or the unlock button and i hear the motor, but no luck.... So now im stuck with the passenger door locked and i cant get it open to take the panel off to fix it? Also, the drivers door will open when unlocked or if locked only from the inside handle as the door lock does not unlock with the key or remote or switch?
So, im going to open up the drivers door to see whats going on with that- and hopefully that will give me an idea on what to do with the passenger door to unlock it????

Any tips or suggestions on how to get the passenger door open is awsome! Also, any suggestions on what is wrong with either door would be great too as im going to have to probably fix something.

I tried rolling the passenger window down, and putting a coat hanger down there with a bent end, hoping to grab onto possibly the lock rod and pull it up to unlock the door, but looks like i only slightly bent the rod to the lock "nipple" as it pokes out of the door further than it did before!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a ton of posts about lock/latch problems, and many have pictures. But since you don't want to search i'll tell you that you can take the interior door panel off and look inside to see the rod the lock is attached to and unlock it.

There are a ton of posts about lock/latch problems, and many have pictures. But since you don't want to search i'll tell you that you can take the interior door panel off and look inside to see the rod the lock is attached to and unlock it.
Ive searched but none were specific to my problem nec... Also, i cannot take the door panel off as the door wont open! I took off the drivers door to look at how it was setup, but i still cant get to the passenger door to access anything.

Also, any reason why my key wouldnt turn the lock on the passenger door to unlock it???

Thanks that link was very helpful, but im still stuck with getting the door open with no access to the panel being removed? Any easy ways to slim jim the door without the slim jim?
Roll the window down, pry up on the top of the panel to pop it out of the groove it sits in. Then stick your arm down and finish pulling the panel off. Its not as easy as it sounds, but its very doable.

Did you try wd-40 or liquid wrench in the lock cylinder? Or hit the open button on the remote multiple times as fast as you can.

If you can get the seat out, it makes it easier, but you should be able to remove the inner door panel even with the seat in place. It'll be tight, but it should come off... IIRC, remove the trim behind the pull and the screw there, remove the screws near the pull, lift up on the panel to release it from the door, then disconnect the switches, and it should come out. from gijoecam

Once the panel is off do this:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268003&highlight=unlock+door

Did you try wd-40 or liquid wrench in the lock cylinder? Or hit the open button on the remote multiple times as fast as you can.

If you can get the seat out, it makes it easier, but you should be able to remove the inner door panel even with the seat in place. It'll be tight, but it should come off... IIRC, remove the trim behind the pull and the screw there, remove the screws near the pull, lift up on the panel to release it from the door, then disconnect the switches, and it should come out. from gijoecam

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268003&highlight=unlock+door
Yeah, i wd40 the cylinders on the lock to no luck. I tried the open button with the remote and interior switch the way you mentioned, but no luck?
I guess ill have a fun day ahead of me- as my dumb a$$ moved and i used my truck to move with obviously. Well, i packed everything into the truck and seeing that i rarely drive the truck- ive kept it full of all of my stuff. Boxes and garage stuff basically. (i need more room for my stuff). Anyhow, that will be the fun part unless (removing everything through the back...)i can get my hands on a slim jim or Ford specific lock tool to open it up.
Thanks again, and ill see what happens... If i can figure out a simpler way to get it open ill be sure to post a how to thread on it. Time to ponder!!!!!

To pull up you have to remove trim plugs. The only way to get them out when the door is closed with a seat in is from the top through the inside. That means you have to pry the top off the rail (requires the window to be down), push the panel away from the door from the inside where the plugs are to pop them out, then you can slide it up.

probably would have to replace those plastic wonders after pulling it out that way then huh?

Back