door panel question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

door panel question

I know there is a thread that discusses this problem as it relates to a bad door latch but I needed a little clarification. Tho op said he couldn't open his front door, I have the same problem. What is a little vague in that post was just how he got the door panel off. When you roll the window down do you then unsnap the small top portion of the larger door panel, in other words is the panel made in separate pieces? I know it appears to be but just wanted to be sure before I screw it up.

Same question, oddly

I know there is a thread that discusses this problem as it relates to a bad door latch but I needed a little clarification. Tho op said he couldn't open his front door, I have the same problem. What is a little vague in that post was just how he got the door panel off. When you roll the window down do you then unsnap the small top portion of the larger door panel, in other words is the panel made in separate pieces? I know it appears to be but just wanted to be sure before I screw it up.

My driver side door lock quit working and is stuck in the unlocked position. There is movement (twitch) when locking and unlocking but the lock cannot even be manually pushed down. It will not lock with a key, the remote a push, etc. It's a '99 and I can't get the door panel off.

Thanks for any help.

Just Finished Here's how...

Biggest challenge is the handle itself.

1. Remove the two screws under the handle. IMPORTANT! These go up a little at an angle and are connected to a couple of brass tabs on the inside. Don't lose them. If when you get the panel all the way off, you cannot see the clamps over the larger holes, they dropped into the bottom of the door. Reach down, feel around and find them. They will need to be back in the right place to get the screws back in. If you have some adhesive, or even some small piece of duct tape to hold these in place, I recommend it.

2. With a flathead screwdriver go around the perimeter of the door panels and gently pry the panel away from the door. Peek inside and you will see the plastic white tabs providing resistance.

3. Once all are completely loose, lift the panel up and toward the engine. There is a hook near the mirror and the top of the door hooks in a track next to the window by the lock. There is nothing to remove on top of the door.

4. Now the latch will be hanging up. There is a plastic trim piece around the latch that you can pop out that will make things a little more forgiving. But there are a few things still attached. Your mirror adjuster needs to be unplugged. This will require a smaller flathead screw driver and some patience. It is a tab connection.

5. The control console on the door slides straight out of the door and has two small tabs that sort of hook into grooved slots. You should be able to push the control console in toward the door and off of the panel.

6. Now, finish working the door panel away from the door latch holding it in the open position if you can. If your latch will not open, I have not idea how you could get the panel off and you need more help than I can give you.

7. When the panel is completely off, the auto mirror cord is attached through the liner with a tab that needs to be carefully pryed out. Now you should have the control console hanging there and the plug to the mirror adjuster.

8. Look for the white tabs that may be left in the door that came out of the panel. Pry them out and slide them back into their slots in the door panel. Otherwise you will never get the door panel tightly secured back in place and will have a hard time getting the liner off.

9. Carefully and patiently peel the liner off and remove around the latch. Place it somewhere face up to try to keep it from sticking to anything else. This preserves some of the adhesive qualities and will make it easier to put back in place.

10. Now you can see the parts and pieces and follow that other guys direction.

REASSEMBLY:

1. LOCK THE DRIVER SIDE DOOR SO THE ROD IS DOWN.

2. Make sure the two clip tabs that the control panel screw into are in place, the right place.

3. Carefully line up and replace the liner. It should stick in place. The critical benchmarks for having it in the right place are the tab for the mirror and the two screw holes for the control assembly. If you get these lined up and the hole panel smoothed out, your golden.

4. Plug the white tab holding the mirror cord back in place throught the liner.

5. Hold the panel up and slide the control panel back into the door. Make sure you are in the slots. Looking on the inside, it should seat nicely and sort of hook into place.

6. Now, with you 3rd and 4th hand, while holding the panel up but not yet totally against the door, plug in the mirror cord.

7. Let the door panel hang for a minute while you drink a beer and reset your patience meter.

8. Carefully work the door back over the latch, holding it open to make it easier. You can put the latch trim peice in last.

9. Make sure the door is still locked with the rod down.

10. There is a plastic hook near the mirror and the top of the panel near the lock both have to hook in from the top down. Once these two are are seated with the latch through the panel, all of the tabs should line up nicely with all the holes.

11. Gently push the panel back into the door working your way around the perimeter.

12. Install those last two screws. They actually go up at an angle not straight in. If your clips are still in the right spot, they will catch right away. If not, you may have to get a hangar type piece of wire and carefully feel for them and push them to where you want them. If these missed or the clips fell off into the door go back to taking the panel off and start over.

Good Luck!

Thanks Nanersdad sounds like your problem was very similar and that's a great detailed description of the procedure that I look forward to getting to. Problem I have is my door is closed and it will not open which makes removing the panel difficult if not impossible. I'm thinking its not impossible but just wanted a little clarification on the process of removing the door panel with the door in the closed position. Thanks again though and will let you know how it works out when i get to that point.

door panel

Happy to do it. I was frustrated myself trying to get the door panel off and found one little hint that helped me get my little project going. I found this site and now have saved it as a favorite.

Back