door wont open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

door wont open

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
hey, its my first time on here so here we go.

my 1994 ford explorer's rear drivers side door wont open.
its not the child safety lock crap. the handle juts out at a akward angle not inline with where it should be when the door is closed. The door opens fine from the out side. Any thoughts on what it could be and how to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully this link will work

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_03863_1119631_3116&pt=03863&ppt=C0356

The clip on the right is what they look like. They're cheap from either auto parts or dealer. In the picture, the thinnest part is actually a "hinge" where the part folds in half and encases the rod coming from your handle and attaches it to the door latch mechanism. I'm thinking this plastic part is broken, and that's why your handle is sloppy and out of position. You have to remove the door liner and plastic dust cover to look inside the door. You'll see this part by the latch mechanism.

havent gotten a chance to look at it yet been busy but hopefully that will fix it Thanks

I've had this problem before. The inside door handle appears to be stuck out at an odd angle when the door is closed. You can pull on the inside handle and it moves, but not enough to unlatch the door mechanism and open the door. The outside handle will work fine.

It's the plastic handle inside. There are little plastic teeth inside, shaped in a quarter turn, sort of like one quarter of a circular gear. When my son yanks on the handle too hard, it strips a few of the gears off time and then it's stuck.

You have to pull the door panel and remove the plastic handle mechanism. There is a way to loosen it up or get a screw driver in there and skip the teeth back into the proper timing. It's been a couple years and I've only had to do it twice, so my memory is fuzzy. If you study the handle mechanism for a few minutes and work it back and forth, you will see how it operates and how to skip the teeth back into proper timing. It's not hard.

wouldeve replied sooner but i didnt look. that sounds exatly what is the problem is . ive been holding off because now the drivers side door handle is craked along where the window controls are. and now the ac fan went out to but that should a simple fix to. so being a poor high school student dosent help alot. :( not enough time for all of my projects and things to do lol. so if thats all it is it sould be a quick fix thanks alot.

Back