Doors unlock, but will not lock from door button or key remote | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Doors unlock, but will not lock from door button or key remote

Roadblock1945

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
My doors will not lock if I press the button on my drivers door, or press the lock button my my key remote.

If I press the lock button on the key remote, the alarm DOES arm. If you lift a door handle from outside the SUV, the alarm does go off but the doors are not locked.

You can manually lock all 5 doors, then press the lock button on the remote and they will be locked and the alarm armed. I normally just arm the alarm though, I'm too lazy to lock the four doors and the lift gate manually each time!

Now I know what you guys are going to say, pull the door boot and checking the wiring. I have, my friend has and we have already repaired all the broken wires, that is how I fixed my power windows. It does not appear to be the wiring.

So next thought was the switch itself. Well I also don't believe it to be the switch. If I get in my SUV with the engine off, radio off, windows up so it's dead silent inside the car and then press the "LOCK" button I hear what sounds like a relay clicking on. I think it's coming from the back passenger side, maybe near the rear wheel well?

It dos it every single time I press the lock button.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Unfortunately the pictures are no longer available in the above thread. IIRC, I believe I unwrapped the wires enough to gain access. When I have gone searching in there I had an idea of what wire I was looking for. I located the the wire I was looking for and gently tugged on that wire on the door side. The wire was pulled toward me and out of the harness. I then went inside the vehicle and gently tugged on the the wire I was looking for and was able to pull it inside the vehicle. I then spliced a length of wire to the 2 ends, completing the circuit. I then gently pulled the excess into the door.

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Yes I'm very much aware of the broken wires in the door. If you re-read my above post, we have already fixed all of the wires. I went threw then and so did my friend who is a decent wiz when it comes to electrical issues with automobiles.

We have repaired the broken wires.

I'm pretty sure we didn't miss any and I'm pretty sure that based on the fact I'm getting possibly a clicking relay when I hit the LOCK button, it's sending the signal.

If you manually lock the doors and arm the alarm, everything works from that stand point. If I press the button on the door inside the SUV or press the button on the key remote to UNLOCK the doors, the alarm is disabled and the doors unlock.

If I press the LOCK button on the door from inside the SUV, I hear a "CLICK", like a relay clicking on/off in the back passenger side. Like the LOCK signal is getting sent to a relay of some type but not getting past that to the actual doors. If I use the key remote, I get the same click, but the alarm arms too it's just the doors to not lock.

I'm not exactly sure where the sound is coming or what it is. Is there anything electrical on the back passenger side of the 2002 Explorer XLT? There must be, I can hear it clicking when I try to lock my doors. I get ONE click per lock button press. If I repeatedly press LOCK I get the clicks as fast as I can press the button so the signal is getting from the switch to "something"!

:)

Is there anything electrical on the back passenger side of the 2002 Explorer XLT? .
:)

Yes, there is a control box mounted inside the rear passenger side wall panel along side the rear seat. Can't tell you the exact name of this box or what it exactly does, but printed on the side of this box is your vehicles keyless entry code. I'm assuming it has something to do with the vehicles security system since the keyless entry code is printed on it. You'll have to remove the seat belt bolt for the harness, the entry foot panel along the floor and the weather stripping and partially pop off the wall panel enough to expose this box. The rear seat can be rolled over and out of your way as well. Should take 5 minutes or so to remove everything to get at it.

I am going over my shop manuals and should be able to send you some good info tonight. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I need to know if you have an early build or late build?

I have the same problem, mine is a Explorer 2000, only unlocks with the control, won´t lock doors with the control, the door swiches works fine, the only trouble is... wont lock with the control or the door panel, need somo advise

I have the same problem, mine is a Explorer 2000, only unlocks with the control, won´t lock doors with the control, the door swiches works fine, the only trouble is... wont lock with the control or the door panel, need somo advise

Hi. I've been reading the old threads to find out more about the same problem on my 2013 Explorer. Remote only unlocks, doesn't lock or open the tailgate. Door buttons inside work fine. Can anyone point me to a resolution, if any. Many thanks.

Back