Dorman 626-551 HVAC Heater Hose - low cost aftermarket part review | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dorman 626-551 HVAC Heater Hose - low cost aftermarket part review

Bazz270

Reaction score
City, State
Haifa,Israel
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2007 XLT
Hi all

decided to write some review for cheap Chinese popular replacement part from amazon or rockauto etc.
purchased in 2019 in amazon after my old OEM hose Y fitting leaked. via this link:

lasted almost about two years and today leaked (hose melted near exhaust manifold)

1.plastic mount (hose to valve cover) broken after two weeks and heat shields melted after a year.
2. rear hose ID wont fit until u will use worm clamp (it will leak anyways).
3. HVAC valve side fitting leaking too
4. Dorman spring clamps are totally junk...replaced with worm ones.
5. existing heat shields locations have no any sense. they just moves tru the assembly because of vibrations.
6. need to be secured with cable ties or it will be melted even in the first year..

will purchase the original hose assembly now...

after my oem part will be here ill take a couple of photos of this melted junk.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it the part problem or location issue ? Do you have the manifold heat shields on yours still ?

Thanks for the update 👍

The problem isn’t that it was made in China, the problem is it was made by Dorman.

China will make anything to your spec but you have to pay
Most don't want to pay

Is it the part problem or location issue ? Do you have the manifold heat shields on yours still ?

Thanks for the update 👍
Yep
Manifold heat shields installed in both bank sides.

The location is the same one similar to OEM hose assembly.

I also thank you for the update and that I hear nothing but bad about Dorman.

Most don't want to pay
Exactly. They can make extremely high quality things.

I only use cheap parts on things that aren’t show stoppers, and on things that are only a few minutes to replace.

Most don't want to pay
Donald is on Q......All can be made to spec.....a starter or alternator with press bearings or real ball bearings....
heavy coil wire or lite gauge wire ....its how Honda broke into the market with 300K starters and such...going
against the say Chev Vega.....lol.....and that massive engine.....master piece....
I use Gates or NAPA made by Gates.........
1624987429875.png

Thanks for the followup. Seems to be a trend with a lot of Dorman parts - they are "OK" as a quick replacement, but expecting long life from them seems to be a pain point... I ponied up and went with the Ford part when I did this repair, and it had lasted for 5+ years when I sold the vehicle...

Hi all

Replaced today:
20210730_105655.jpg

Ford OEM Y heater hose equipped with vacuum valve,metal piping and all of the hardware needed for the whole passenger side cooling hoses rework.Dorman assembly includes cheap worm type clamps,couple of wrong spring clamps ,cast aluminum Y fitting and 3 OEM look like EPDM hoses (without metal piping and vacuum valve)

Dorman hose after approx 1.5 years:
Totally failed heat shields and plastic valve cover mount:
20210730_105709.jpg

Almost all of the hoses inner diameters are bigger than needed(leaking -no matter what clamp type used).

20210730_105704.jpg

Melted and leaked manifold side hose (heat shield missing at all)

20210730_105716.jpg

Also noted that all of the hoses became kinda shape and outer diameter changed (look at the mount ring diameter)

20210730_110553.jpg

Pics should go straight to Dorman and Rockauto. I'd say Amazon too but wouldn't make a lot of difference. Probably won't to the others either, now that I think about it. It's all junk.

I've left negative Amazon feedback (they do nothing about those feedbacks for sure).Dorman warranty service works and communicates good but they usually offers the same junk as a replacement.

Back