• Register Today It's free!

down on power

turboranger91

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas city
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
i've been going wheeling every week lately. well, this last time out, i took the truck through some water that may have been a bit too deep for me. it came up to my bumber. i made it through just fine, parked the truck, left it running, and got out to join my friends watching others going through. when i went back to my truck, about 15 minutes later, it had shut off. i started it back up, drove about 10 feet and it died again. i checked the battery connection which was a bit loose. after a few minutes of holding the rpm's up, it finally smoothed out and ran just fine for the rest of the day... or so i thought. on the trails, it ran fine, but get her out on the highway, and it's a different story. she's way down on power. going up inclines is a chore. i've got to floor it and i still lose speed. a lot of my electronics are acting up too. the dome lights stay on/flicker. the stereo is doing goofy things like cutting the volume back down to zero, and the screen looking like writing from transformers. i popped the hood and my motor is completely covered in dried muddy water.. the entire thing.

i've got another motor that i could swap in, but i'd like to hit 300,000 miles on this motor before i have to do that. so, what should i check first?

I doubt your issue is the motor. You've got water in an electrical circuit (connector maybe) somewhere. Or you have damaged an electrical circuit or component. This might eventually dry out and be fine, or you may be in for a long, long stint trying to find it.

I doubt your issue is the motor. You've got water in an electrical circuit (connector maybe) somewhere. Or you have damaged an electrical circuit or component. This might eventually dry out and be fine, or you may be in for a long, long stint trying to find it.

it's got to be something permanent. it's been 5 days now and it's still acting goofy. i've had a few people on other boards telling me to check the exhaust, but it looks fine. i haven't had a chance to check the cat yet to see if it's busted on the inside... it's been too cold here. looking at some really nice weather this weekend though.

problem solved. super simple. air filter was clogged with mud. lol.

Back