Dreaming of one mean 4.0: The Build up - Creager's 1992 Sport | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dreaming of one mean 4.0: The Build up - Creager's 1992 Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought this with a bunch of other stuff.... 6 years of previous abuse on the engine...

4.0L V-6
Bored .030″ over
Comp Cams 220
Comp Valve Springs
Delta Cams Rocker Arm Assembly`s
Smith Brothers Pushrods
Ported & polished 10:1 compression heads
Balanced rotating assembly
BBK throttle body
Cold air intake
JBA ceramic coated headers
Flowaster 40 series muffler
Diablo chip

Diadlo chip

Bought this with a bunch of other stuff.... 6,000 miles on the engine...no idea what cam

4.0L V-6
Bored .030″ over
Comp Cam
Comp Valve Springs
Delta Cams Rocker Arm Assembly`s
Smith Brothers Pushrods
Ported & polished 10:1 compression heads
Balanced rotating assembly
BBK throttle body
Cold air intake
JBA ceramic coated headers
Flowaster 40 series muffler
Diablo chip

I want to know if this chip would work in 92 explorer?

I want to know if this chip would work in 92 explorer?

I dont believe they make that chip anymore and if they do I doubt anyone would tune it..chips really are not needed unless FI comes into play...sure they will help a 4.0 with cam but its so minor improvements, its not worth the cost...the stock ecm will work just fine, same with injectors and maf..neither should be changed for NA

A Tuned chip would probably make a nice difference in a modified auto truck .

A Tuned chip would probably make a nice difference in a modified auto truck .

Not in a first gen obd1 truck..there is no real adjustments for trans and even the motor if very limited to what you can adjust. .to get any real gains it needs to be on a dyno..remote tuning does not work, no way to data log...

Fyi best chip is the SCT Eliminator chip..it has current software and 90% of shops tune SCT:salute:

The chip I had ( that was screwed) was programed using datalogging .. I was told.

The chip I had ( that was screwed) was programed using datalogging .. I was told.

It may have been back in the 90s when they sold and programmed REAL chips(not ebay crap)....BUT the obd1 has no way of datalogging without a separate VERY expensive device. .its not something you can buy or order anymore, hell most shops dont even carry it anymore.(I forget the name of it)

First gens all you can adjust basically is fuel/ timing and its not very accurate because of the lack of sensors. .you dont have cps, knock,sequential fire injectors or multiple O2 sensors. .94 being the only exception and its very basic..the a4ld is not a electronic controlled trans also...

Fyi It costed me around $700 in tuning for my first gen explorer once I went forced induction. .I ran with full build motor,10.67:1 compression with the 422 cam and built trans for years without tune and currently still do run it without a tune ( no super charger anymore, its on my ranger)..no issues at all..

Has anyone used
JET-89205-1992-Ford-Explorer-4-0L-V6-Auto-Performance-Computer-PCM-ECM-Module and how did it work?

I have a 92 ford explorer 4x4 4.0 with a4ld
the 4.0 has 410 comp cam and springs,70mm MAF, cold air intake system, borla headers, test pipe and cat back exhaust

I'm getting ready to freshen up this engine and get the Tom Morana roller rocker kit
because this engine weak link is the rocker assembley, put wed site info below

http://www.moranav6racing.com/category.html?CategoryID=32

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390558862362?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

BUT the obd1 has no way of datalogging without a separate VERY expensive device. .its not something you can buy or order anymore, hell most shops dont even carry it anymore.(I forget the name of it)

That's not quite true. You could buy Binary Editor (google search if you're not familiar) and a Moates Quarterhorse for tuning AND datalogging. You could be set up to tune yourself for $500. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, you could take that setup to just about any Ford tuner, and they can do the tune work for you on their dyno. BE isn't all that common, so it might be tough to find a shop already using it.

approximately how long did this entire build take in hours of doing the actual work from tear down to finish? if dudes still around or if anyone knows from experience? i plan on doing this to my ford in the near future

As a follow up from my butting the built engine I got second hand just **** out a head gasket/ head :-( ..the good news is I am getting a reman with a cam ground to the Comp cams 256 HR spec, nothing else other then the headers that are on the truck.

Back