Dreaming of one mean 4.0: The Build up - Creager's 1992 Sport | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dreaming of one mean 4.0: The Build up - Creager's 1992 Sport

Plan?

Do you plan to do forced air induction? And what is you hp goal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ANYONE ever find out what happened to Creager? I would like to know how the engine is holding up/ performing after a couple of years have gone by.

ANYONE ever find out what happened to Creager? I would like to know how the engine is holding up/ performing after a couple of years have gone by.

I've had mine for awhile now and had no problems with it.mine might be alittle more extreme tho.

How long have you been running yours, jd4242? What have you done differently on your build up? I am wanting to gather the parts to do something like this, but, I would like to have some solid feed-back of what NOT to do along with the to do list. Any thoughts to add here?

How long have you been running yours, jd4242? What have you done differently on your build up? I am wanting to gather the parts to do something like this, but, I would like to have some solid feed-back of what NOT to do along with the to do list. Any thoughts to add here?

I would say if you want power to just do the 5.0 swap.may be more involved but for the same price you would make more power and the trans will be more reliable. I did mine just to be different and im happy with but my next build will definitely be a v8 ranger.I've had mine for about three years.i think the real only difference in mine is i used a high flow oil pump,modified 95tm heads to run 10.6:1 compression,SI valves ,p+p lower and upper intake,underdrive pullies and wrapped headers.i have some other little things done to it that i don't release as i plan on running a 150 shot also;)

Thanks for the feed-back. Momma (wife) made me swear that the 4.0 is STAYING in her "X", hence the questions. I am going to be trying the SOHC 4.0 running on OHV electronics soon, as I got a 98 'cammer for $300 on Friday. As for a V8 Ranger, well, I HAD one that I sold (4x4 at that) and I am currently building ANOTHER one out in the barn, 4x4 also, but with an NP 435, Dana 24 Xcase and a 331 running around 8-9 lbs of boost from a turbo. I agree that if you want alot of power, then the 4.0 is NOT the way to go, but, not everyone can work around the fun/"joy"/headaches (oodles and oodles of) from converting to a V8 in a 1st Gen.

Why didnt you just buy a complete 4.3 stroker from tom morana v6 racing they run $3,850.

Why didnt you just buy a complete 4.3 stroker from tom morana v6 racing they run $3,850.

Who?and you sure don't think that's a complete engine.think its just a kit (the crank, rods and pistons)

Yep. Looked at that option. It IS simply just the crank/rods/pistons. OUCH! I could do a 5.0 swap for less than $400, turnkey, but, I would rather try to get more "punch" from the 4.0 before I go that route again, if possible.

Thought it was

Who?and you sure don't think that's a complete engine.think its justa kit, the crank, rods and pistons

That Morana v6 setup is $3,850 with a short block bored, honed and fully assembled.. the kit itself is $2,600 and comes with crank, bearings, rings, rods and pistons..no performance cam unless special ordered ($400 from them)so id do that myself if i was gonna do it. There Numbers say that the stroker kit alone will yield 30HP and 30 Ft/lbs, so i Dont know if it would even be worth it for that kind of money

heres the site http://moranav6racing.com

That Morana v6 setup is $3,850 with a short block bored, honed and fully assembled.. the kit itself is $2,600 and comes with crank, bearings, rings, rods and pistons..no performance cam unless special ordered ($400 from them)so id do that myself if i was gonna do it. There Numbers say that the stroker kit alone will yield 30HP and 30 Ft/lbs, so i Dont know if it would even be worth it for that kind of money

heres the site http://moranav6racing.com

That's still with no heads no cam no lifters no pushrods no rockers, no gaskets, no head bolts.there heads run $1800 too plus cost of all other that stuff i just listed.your looking at a 7-8 thousand motor!!the stroker kit does not add that much power for .2l you could gain the same power just by boring it out your self and save 3 grand for heads and bolt ons.i can built a motor just like that complete turn key and put down just as much power for about 2-3 grand less!

That's still with no heads no cam no lifters no pushrods no rockets no baskets no head bolts.thurs heads run $1800 too plus cost of all other that stuff i just listed.your looking at a 7-8 thousand motor!!the strokes kit does not add that much power for. 2l you could gave the same power just by boring it out your self and save 3 grand for heads and bolt ons.i can built a motor just like that complete turn key and put down just as much power for about 2-3 grand less!

i agree there is no point in dropping that much money in the bottom end and putting a stock configuration on top of it.. 4k will build u a reliable 4.0 with a very good amount of power over stock.. just the 95tm heads and a cam on the stock 4.0 with a few bolt ons will give u a noticeable increase..

I don't know if this is the right thread but here goes.
91 Navajo, 5 speed, very tired engine. Would like to build the 4.0 but am unsure if I should use my 91 engine or swap in a later 190hp ranger engine. Has anyone had any experience using the SOHC motor?

I am building a streeter that lives in the blue mountains of NE Oregon. Lots of snow, ice, wood cutting, tools, saws, roaring up and down the mountain. You all get the drift.
30x9.5-15 bighorns already on, works great, 2" body lift, manuel T.C. instead of the buttons on the dash. Am building a set of boat slides and some bash plates. Haven't found a front winch bumper yet, want deerguards in this neighbor hood.
What says you about my engine mods? Any and all suggestions welcome.
Thanx, oddrod

Such a tough call. I did mine. I'm happy, but really think it was a waste of money in hindsight. The SOHC is a good motor, but I'm sure there are starting to be a lot of the new V6 mustang motors in the junk yards too. Then again, there are already tons of 5.0's looking for a home. If you just wanna keep the block you got and rebuild it, go nuts. There are some decent things you can do to help it out. the cam, and good heads being a great start. A good tune from Doug who's now w/ a new company. Used to be 'Bama Chips, I can't remember who he's with now. Good luck!

1) Nice and pretty power steering, hehehe

2) Here you can see whats stoopid about this stoopid pump. See the end of the pump shaft?

3) This is the reason why

The kit comes with GRADE 5 bolts to press that thing on there, hehe you can see what they look like once you get so far. Actually, the black one is what came with the kit, the silver ones are what i got at FASTENAL to help proceed with the installation. Too bad FASTENAL didnt have grade 8, otherwise id be done with it!

4) Here is another engine compartment shot, you should be able to see the new motor mounts, accumulator, and power steering lines! Yahoo!

Progress, gotta love it!

iread your site here about your build up nice photos and works I came from sweden and i am an explorer fan and owner of an 94 XLT soo i like your way to do this hook up an good job .....hans

... just had to get new headlights!

hi were to find those clear glasses to headlights and turn lights look so nice i cant find them or i looking for the wrong place..

hans in sweden .. :thumbsup: nice job

BMX dude, thankfully you are all right, somebody's gotta show me how to bleed the clutch! haha jk man, hope everything turns out alright for ya. Im definatly getting this sucker on a dyno'd. Do you think they will mind me not having an exhaust? hehe

Hahahah, hell yah maximium, its been like the freaking launch of the space shuttle over here. When i first heard that loud VROOOM, i started shaking, haha

The video/sound clip is here! Its 4.5 megs, so i just gotta figure out how to get it up here and ill post it. The sound quality isnt nearly as nice as i would like it, but i'm sure you guys will get the idea.

Geocities is lame and doesnt like me linking the file direclty to you guys, so you have to click this link, then follow the link on the page. Hopefully that will do it! http://www.geocities.com/curly_bone85/index.htm

creager the cam you using its low or high for rpm and torqe?? and the number of it were to find it??..

Subscribing :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Old thread don't know if original poster is around any more but I subscribing so I can read it later.

Back