"Drilling" stock injectors for more flow... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Drilling" stock injectors for more flow...

'93BajaSport

Reaction score
City, State
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer Sport
Does anyone know if doing so will increase the flow rate of stock 19lb injectors?

I had one injector fail last year and replaced the whole set, so I have five original four-hole parts sitting around. I cut the bad one apart on a lathe and found that there is a regular cone-spray pintle under the four-hole orifice plate. I'm willing to remove that plate and flow test it myself, but I was wondering if anyone knew before I went to that trouble. The ones I have are 1993 OEM Bosch and are red, which correlates to 30lb/hr on the Ford Motorsport scale.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NEVER drill injectors.

You've got to read this article on MotoIQ.

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/1929/tuners-test-your-injectors.aspx

I would also recommend anyone purchasing aftermarket "modified" injectors to read it. It includes technical and testing data plus lots of pictures showing why this is a terrible idea. Long story short is that even aftermarket companies can't properly drill injectors, so there's no way a person with a drill is going to do anything other than destroy a good injector.

Best I can tell, those photos were ripped off from an article by Jim Wolf Technology on the same topic, which I have seen before.

What I got from them is that removing the orifice plate isn't necessarily bad, just that the injector has to be characterized again afterward. I wouldn't even consider doing it if I didn't have access to the precision equipment required. In all likelihood I would only be using one or two injectors anyway. Each would be on a separate channel with individual flow rate settings.

I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Best I can tell, those photos were ripped off from an article by Jim Wolf Technology on the same topic, which I have seen before.

What I got from them is that removing the orifice plate isn't necessarily bad, just that the injector has to be characterized again afterward. I wouldn't even consider doing it if I didn't have access to the precision equipment required. In all likelihood I would only be using one or two injectors anyway. Each would be on a separate channel with individual flow rate settings.

I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

On the front page it says "By Jim Wolf". As I understand it he wrote the article for MotoIQ.

I didn't mean to be snippy or anything with my reply, sorry if it came off that way. You didn't mention you had precision equipment and I figured anyways that if you did, you probably would have plenty of money for quality aftermarket injectors. Good luck with whatever your project is and sorry I wasn't able to help.

No worries, I know you are trying to discourage anyone thinking it's a good idea because it's not a good idea for the drill press set. :) Real injector "drilling" should probably be done with sinker EDM or laser...at which point it's cheaper to buy the right injectors.

I don't even know what will happen when the orifice plate comes of. I suspect the spray pattern will suffer. If/when I get around to trying this, I will try to remember to report back with the results.

why would you even want to do this?especially on a stock explorer motor?i have two sets of Bosch 19lbs sitting in my garage,one is a matched set, if you just need a couple

I didn't say it/they were going on an Explorer engine. ;)

Not too bad for a first try:
fbdbdabe.jpg

Now to flow test and see how much anything changed.

I didn't say it/they were going on an Explorer engine. ;)

Not too bad for a first try:
fbdbdabe.jpg

Now to flow test and see how much anything changed.

Ooo gotca;)

My goal was to flow the modified injector before the weekend was over and I managed to pull it off. :)

One of the stock 19lb injectors did 195.5cc/min or ≈ 18.6lb/hr. Keep in mind that they have over 250,000mi and have never been cleaned. Spray pattern is sort of a four-sided hollow cone.

The modified one with no orifice plate blew 327cc/min or ≈31.1lb/hr. It also has a pencil-type spray pattern now.

Both were flowed at 3.0 bar.

Back