Drive Side and Trunk Lock No Worky | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drive Side and Trunk Lock No Worky

mp88

Reaction score
City, State
Nesquehoning, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Drive Side and Trunk Lock Not Working

It was only a matter of time before I posted this.

At first my driver's side would only lock 1/2 of the time when the auto or keyless entry was used, and all the time with the key. Then after about 1 1/2 weeks (go figure), the lock went all together. I used the key in the door, turned it to the left and the right, then the key would move but the rod wouldn't go up or down.

When keyless or auto is used now, the little rod goes up and down half of the time, but the door doesn't actually lock (leading to a lot of car alarms). I can put the key in the hole, but can't even turn it left or right anymore. I recall on my old Explorer, a similar thing happened where the cheap plastic piece inside broke off.

The trunk is a different story. The only way to lock or ulock the trunk is with a key (98's don't have the rod in the back). I can hear the motor go, but nothing happens. If the electric lock is used, the door doen't lock, but the car alarm still responds to the unlocked door being opened

What y'all think?

Pictures

Upon taking the door off, I discovered this picture behind the driver's side door.

dsc00221is6.jpg

Before I took this pic (on a cell phone (sorry for the unclarity)), that white electrical piece was disconnected from the key lock that it is attached to in the photo. Behind it there was nothing. I can now turn the key, but it does nothing. The electric lock works, but it still takes about 1 second of revving the electric motor to lock or unlock the door. Anyone feel like filling me in on the missing piece?

Or better yet, are there any write ups on how to remove the door to get at the lock?

Back