Driveline jerk and tremble Please Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driveline jerk and tremble Please Help!

unforgiven

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisonburg,Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Explorer Sport SOHC
I have a ’00 Explorer sport SOHC, 4x4, and the 5-spd auto trans. For the past couple of weeks I’ve noticed a jerk or tremble in the driveline under hard acceleration, although it was very light. While driving yesterday it started to tremble while in overdrive going up a small grade. I’m used to the control-trac jerking some at lower speeds as shifts power but this was at highway speed 55 or above and it feels much worse. My X only has 48,000 on it and I had a complete trans flush at 30,000. I fear it’s something in the trans or transfer, but I’m going to check wires and plugs good first. If anyone else has had similar problems I would appreciate a response. I've checked out the transfluid it nice and red and smells ok.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any luck tracking this down. My OHV "jerked" on me 3x's yesterday at ~55mph, not really a tremble though. Just curious. Thanks!

I don't want to scare you guys, but does it feel like a little vibration or rumble for about 1-2 seconds, maybe with a little increased throttle before shifting in or out of OD? Mine did that for a while, then it got worse, then boom. The tranny went out. I'm waiting to get it back.

I have a similar thing going on with a '97 OHV 5 speed auto, seems to stumble (almost like the coil pak power is interupted for a split second) on climbing hills or under light acceleration at hiway speeds. Since I just picked this truck up a few months ago, I have no idea about its history. I am more inclined to think it is an engine problem (fuel management or electrical), than the trans. Guess I need to spring for some software and the diagnostics connector for the laptop, but I'm going to try pulling the batt cable for a reset, and see what happens.

Tom

Sure hope someone in the know responds to this issue...got the same thing with my 2000 Mountaineer 4.0. Going into and out of overdrive a rumble (almost like it is slipping a little) occurs perhaps 70% of the time under rather hard acceleration. Hope it's not as 455 Jet described...a forewarning of future tranny failure. I'm at 62,000 miles with this rumble starting at about 48-50,000. Don't know if this is related, but at 36,000 miles I started noticing a momentary delay (still there) for the rear differential to engage once the transmission is put into reverse. Always occurs when the vehicle sits overnight and only sometimes when driving around town.

John H.

John, you might try having the valve body bolts retightened next time you get the tranny fluid changed. These newer ford trannies have a history of them coming loose and causing problems. I am going through the exact same problem (shuddering when going into overdrive) now with a V8 explorer.

Thanks, Jason_25. That's good info and at the least gives some peace of mind that the transmission won't be going south on me in the near future.

John H.

My mom is looking to buy a 2000 explorer sohc and she told me that it has a stumble as soon as you start accelerating. It only has like 40,000 miles on it. Should she stay away from even buying this one? She dosen't want to deal with another tranny, because she just had one put in on her suburban. Could this be the tranny?

Just throwing out an idea, but could it be the torque converter clutch not unlocking on acceleration?

My 92 X just started doing this, under acceleration, or going up hill, it feels like it's stumbling a little and gives a few jerks...

Back