Driver door will not open from inside | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver door will not open from inside

Reaction score
City, State
Port Huron, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer, 4wd, MT, 4DR
I have a 94 EX and the driver front door will not open from the inside. I have searched a few different times over the last few weeks. I have found different things about doors but nothing about why the door will not open. The inside handle is still good (not broke). Is this operated via a cable or solid linkage?
Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you pull on the inside handle does the door pin pop up?

The door latch has two inputs. A rod from each handle (inside and outside) connects to the latch (at different places on the latch) with a plastic connector that is usually the culprit. Auto parts stores HELP sections and the dealer have these connectors. They should be pretty cheap to get. The door liner must be removed to get access.

If the door pin pops up, as Shinryu asks, ignore what I have said.

What "Door Pin" are you talking about? Do you mean the lock? Otherwise I do not know what you mean.

Yes the lock that's suppose to pop up when you begin to pull on the door handle when your trying to exit the vehicle.

Shinryu -- NO the door lock does not go up when pulling the inside handle to exit the vehicle. What does that mean? Or what difference would the lock button going up compared to not going up be?

I had that problem Before on two of my doors. Your inside door handle is broken you need a new one, they have one at AutoZone and at rockauto.com. Let me ask you this. Can you get in from the outside door handle? If you need the part number I can get it for you just give me a min

Shinryu -- Yes I can get into the ex from the outside but can not get out from the inside. The inside handle itself is fine. The piece you put your hand on.

Back