Back doors do not open from the inside | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back doors do not open from the inside

tylergabriel

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon City, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT Explorer
My back doors do't open from the inside. Its a 1994 Explorer XLT. Its been like this shortly after i bought the car last year. and no the child safety lock is not in the on position I tryed that on day 1! so its like the child locks are on... but there not on! any ideas anybody?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The passenger side rear door on our X was like that for a while.

I finally took the panel off and found out that the bar that goes from inside latch to the actual latch was bent.. I bent it back and it works fine now..

~Mark

great advice guys I'll try it in the daylight tomarrow let you know how it goes. BTW i forgot to mention the outside of both doors works just fine no problems just the inside

great advice guys I'll try it in the daylight tomarrow let you know how it goes. BTW i forgot to mention the outside of both doors works just fine no problems just the inside

When our passenger rear door didn't work right from the inside, it worked correctly from the outside.

~Mark

I have the same problem with my 96 xlt back doors don't open from inside and I've flipped the child lock switch in both positions and tried it they can only be opened from outside

The plastic handles inside also wear and create flex to the point that the doors will not trigger open. You may need to replace the handles. If you look at them and they are not sitting parallel to the door (or they're pointing into the truck a little) they're flexed and probably junk.

I have the same problem with my 96 xlt back doors don't open from inside and I've flipped the child lock switch in both positions and tried it they can only be opened from outside

ha i have the same problem. I also have 1996 xlt. Both doors do not open from the inside. I looked inside the door and the latch doesnt catch the handle inside. I was gonna fix it but it doesnt bother me cause i dont sit in the back :)

I've got the same problem with my front driver side door, only not only does it not open from the inside, it doesn't lock. I'll tear it apart here in the next couple days and share my findings here.

ha i have the same problem. I also have 1996 xlt. Both doors do not open from the inside. I looked inside the door and the latch doesnt catch the handle inside. I was gonna fix it but it doesnt bother me cause i dont sit in the back :)

Thanks and it really only bothers me because I have to open them when I get out when people are in the back :( its a PITA

Thanks and it really only bothers me because I have to open them when I get out when people are in the back :( its a PITA

yeah i just roll down the back windows and make the people reach out to open it from the outside .. works for me :)

yeah i just roll down the back windows and make the people reach out to open it from the outside .. works for me :)

ya lol I would do that but I think I need a new windor motor mine roll up and down kinda slow :( starting my first job this wed so I'll be makin some money so I'll be fixing small problems here and there... first thing I'm going to buy is prob cold air intake by k&n for 270$

ya lol I would do that but I think I need a new windor motor mine roll up and down kinda slow :( starting my first job this wed so I'll be makin some money so I'll be fixing small problems here and there... first thing I'm going to buy is prob cold air intake by k&n for 270$

oh nice. i was going to fix my explorer up and get the cold air intake but then I decided to buy a bike. Now all my money goes to my bike, which is more fun

Back