• Register Today It's free!

Driver door won't lock

justalexis

Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
The driver door on my '01 Sport Trac will not lock using the power lock button or the keyfob. It does lock manually and then the power lock button, keyfob and keyless entry will unlock it. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lock mechanism has fallen out of place in the door.

You need to remove the door panel and you'll be able to get it to work by holding the lock mechanism in the right place.

The lock mechanism has a small bolt on it that goes through a hole in the driver door. You need to stick it through that hole again and you'll notice it works.

I used a piece of styrophome and wedged the lock to make it stay in the hole since a nut wasn't holding it in place.

Just spray some teflon or wd40 in the locking mechanism

my driver door doesn't lock either and you can't lock it manual also none of my power locks work unless i lock the doors from the cargo area lock button any ideas thanks

when you say "power locks work only from the cargo area lock button".... does that also mean the driver's side door that you say you can't even manually lock???? If you can't lock it manually or via any button then it is likely a mechanical linkage problem at that door. If it locks via the cargo button lock, then it is possibly that the lock / unlock switch has a broken wire running from that switch to the unlock relay. If the driver's side switch doesn't lock or unlock, then it is possible that it lost its ground.

my door lock (just the power actuator) does not work, how do I remove and replace it?

I don't know about other years/models, but on my 99 Sport the actuaters are welded on and Ford has a special tool to get in and chisel them off then the new ones are spot welded back on ... that's a dumb a$$ design!

BrianV said:
The lock mechanism has fallen out of place in the door.

You need to remove the door panel and you'll be able to get it to work by holding the lock mechanism in the right place.

The lock mechanism has a small bolt on it that goes through a hole in the driver door. You need to stick it through that hole again and you'll notice it works.

I used a piece of styrophome and wedged the lock to make it stay in the hole since a nut wasn't holding it in place.

I have this problem on BOTH of my doors! Although, I am under the impression those are not bolts, but rivets? Does anyone have any advice? I cannot lock my doors at all now. I need to get this fixed, but don't wanna dish out $$$$ to pay someone to do it.

-Rich

Back