Driver door won't unlock with the key, but it works with the electric switch. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver door won't unlock with the key, but it works with the electric switch.

Lyndonchappell

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi All,

I have a 2000 explorer two door model. The driver door lock will lock using the key, but will not unlock using the key. I can lock and unlock the driver door using the inside electric switches. I have looked at the driver side lock cylinder and it appears OK. Is this a common issue? Likely fixes?

Thanks
Lyndon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All,

I have a 2000 explorer two door model. The driver door lock will lock using the key, but will not unlock using the key. I can lock and unlock the driver door using the inside electric switches. I have looked at the driver side lock cylinder and it appears OK. Is this a common issue? Likely fixes?

Thanks
Lyndon

try holding the outside handle DOWN, while you use the key. I'm guessing it'll prob. work now. If so, the spring in your handle is worn/broken. Th stops th handle from returning all the way to th closed position, and confuses the GEM/locking mechanism. If it seems as though this is the problem, use the search feature of the forum. Try something like "outside door handle spring" or something like that. It's a common issue, and there are numerous "how-to" threads on "how-to" fix it.

I had the opposite problem. Key would work, actuator would not.

Its been years so I forget the exact problem but a part of the assembly with the latch in it broke. Replaced it and everything was fine. PITA doesn't begin to describe replacing it.

Oil it!

I had the opposite problem. Key would work, actuator would not.

Its been years so I forget the exact problem but a part of the assembly with the latch in it broke. Replaced it and everything was fine. PITA doesn't begin to describe replacing it.

try holding the outside handle DOWN, while you use the key. I'm guessing it'll prob. work now. If so, the spring in your handle is worn/broken. The stops the handle from returning all the way to the closed position, and confuses the GEM/locking mechanism. If it seems as though this is the problem, use the search feature of the forum. Try something like "outside door handle spring" or something like that. It's a common issue, and there are numerous "how-to" threads on "how-to" fix it.

:scratch::wtf: What, am I typing to myself? I know because I fought basically the same problem (as have many others) for at least 6 months before I happened to stumble across this forum and the right thread(s). Not that I've fixed it yet, but the Explorer's been on jackstands for 1yr 3months now. Maybe I;m wrong, but at the very least, try what I suggested before you do anything. You could have checked it in the time it took me to type this.
As for "oil", I don't think that's a good idea. "oil" will tend to attract and accumulate dirt/dust, and gum up the linkages,etc... Maybe try some dry graphite lube. Just be careful, it's really messy.

WD-40, PB blaster, Liquid wrench. etc... Spray and a straw.

When you use your alarm key exclusively, then the locks rarely get used. As a result they get gummed up over time. A spray lube with a small straw (so that it can spray inside the lock) usually works well for most people.

WD-40, PB blaster, Liquid wrench. etc... Spray and a straw.

That counts as "oil". Thin oil, but still wet and kinda sticky. It may work temporarily, but it cause problems down the road. Plus, it's too thin to last any length of time.
Those chemicals are engineered to help free rusty bolts/parts. They are not meant for, nor do they provide long term lubrication.
And, if his problem IS the handle spring, no amount lube is gonna fix that.

A few of us have been down this road. Relax!

The good news is that yours may have a good alarm that you may have to use.

It works okay.

That counts as "oil". Thin oil, but still wet and kinda sticky. It may work temporarily, but it cause problems down the road. Plus, it's too thin to last any length of time.
Those chemicals are engineered to help free rusty bolts/parts. They are not meant for, nor do they provide long term lubrication.
And, if his problem IS the handle spring, no amount lube is gonna fix that.
WD40 is much more solvent than oil. If the tumblers are already jammed with road salt, silt and dirt a little oil is irrelevant. Use a solvent or penetrant to try and free it. When I got my last two Mounties the drivers locks were frozen, it took a few soakings and a lot of working back and forth with the key.

Hi All,

Thanks
Lyndon
I had this problem and fixed it by squirting a good lock lubricant into the keyholes. Might not work for you, but cheap to try. I recommend this Sandstrom Poxylube CP-200 Film Lubricant - 4.5 Ounces (skygeek.com)

++PLS

Back