Driver power seat won't move forward | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver power seat won't move forward

gnx547

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 GT
2010 Ford Explorer, the driver power seat won't move forward. Everything works but the forward position. I'm assuming the forward motor is bad. The power seat track is so $$$. Is there a way to move the seat forward manually?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can try to rotate seat track guide screws(located in the rear of seat track) but you will damage seat track horizontal movement plastic gears for sure.

the limit switch wiring could be messed up, or the switch could be stuck. I don’t believe there are separate forward and reverse motors.

It is one single motor and two movement gears and screws.

Motor connected to worm gears (black plastic boxes in front of seat track)thru spring driveshafts
20210323_101548.jpg

Is there a manual seat track available for replacement?

Never seen manual driver seat track in 4gen X.
Actually the most cheap XLT version came with driver power seat track

I’d disconnect the motor and slap 12 volts on it. If it goes the wrong way, swap the wires and try again. If it’ll go backward, it should, electrically, try and go forwards.

Searching 3rd Gen forum, there are posts about this problem, and using pliers to gently grab the exposed end of the shaft and gently turning a small amount to free up the shaft.

Makes me wonder if some lubrication is needed.

Back