• Register Today It's free!

Driver Seat Broken

1999FordEx

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford
I was pushing back on my seat (driver) reaching into my pocket when I heard a little snap and my seat back goes to the second row.

My questions is - do I need a whole new seat or just some sort of seat lever assembly I've seen looking into this on the internet?

Currently my seat back is resting on my soons car seat which is facing backwards. I will need to turn it around soon and do not want to be in his lap...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was pushing back on my seat (driver) reaching into my pocket when I heard a little snap and my seat back goes to the second row.

My questions is - do I need a whole new seat or just some sort of seat lever assembly I've seen looking into this on the internet?

Currently my seat back is resting on my soons car seat which is facing backwards. I will need to turn it around soon and do not want to be in his lap...

http://www.fordproblems.com/recalls/Explorer/1999/index.shtml

1999 FORD EXPLORER -- On certain sport utility vehicles equipped with high back seats, the upper bolt on the driver�S side high back seat, that attaches the seat recliner mechanism to the seat back frame, could fracture. If the bolt fractures and does not jam in the seat back frame, the seat back may recline until it makes contact with an object behind the seat, such as the second row seat cushion.

This was a recall issue. Just FYI for everyone, put your VIN number into the Ford Site or goto a dealer and see if there are any open campaigns for your vehicle. You may be surprised. Dealers must do this work at no cost and ASAP.

The cruise control recall is very serious business, BTW. Get that taken care of immediately.

I checked my VIN# and this was the only thing opened:

Open Recalls
Recall: 05S28
Description: PERFORM PRIOR TO VEHICLE DELIVERY: SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH

Nothing about the seat.

I checked my VIN# and this was the only thing opened:

Open Recalls
Recall: 05S28
Description: PERFORM PRIOR TO VEHICLE DELIVERY: SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH

Nothing about the seat.

You can call a dealer or ford to find out why your truck was excluded. Maybe it was done or there is some other issue. ALL 1998-2001 is affected. It does say "Certain," so who knows.

Well here is a link to all the documents and instructions as to what to do.
http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/documentList.do?docId=03V281&docType=RCL&fromPublic=true

It is just a bolt that you can probably DIY.

Unfortunately, the dealer and Ford is only giving me the open recalls and do not know what was done previously...:(

fixing the seat

by seat broke much the same way .take the seat out ,remore the seat cover and weld . there is a flaw in the design of the frame .you will see the notch where it broke .weld the notch on both sides of the frame . better than new

my bolt broke about 8 yrs ago...I replace the bolt myself ..never had a problem....Ford still sends me recalls on this issue..

Back