• Register Today It's free!

Driver Side Door Lock

scottbets

Reaction score
City, State
Odessa, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4-door
Hello All. My wife's 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4-door vehicle, has an issue with the drivers side door. It got to where the handle wouldn't open the door and you had to pull up on it pretty hard to get it to open and the handle broke off one day. I replaced the handle, but now it is doing the same thing again. I noticed that towards the bottom of the door, there is a small screw or rivet that looks like it has broken off and when you lock and unlock the doors you can see that small rivet or screw moving up and down. It is firmly attached on the passenger side door in that same spot. Does the door lock actuator need to be replaced? When I stick my hand down inside the door, I feel like a long rod and then a locking mechanism of some sort. I just know that you have to pull the handle up so hard and so far up, that it will break again soon. Please help. I cannot find anything online for this problem and surely I am not the only one that is having this issue. How hard is it to replace this mechanism?

Thanks for the help!

Back